Discus color question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
in my 55 gallon i have 4 discus "Red pidgin,Turquoise blue, Turquoise Red, and Snakeskin blue" I am not sure what one of the above is haveing this issue but i know the fish by its color, at first when i got this fish he was with one other discus, and he was blue with dark bands going down him like a normal discus. Recently i have noticed that this discus was dark he would show his colors some times like when all the other discus were out and not in hiding. The Discus shows no sign of stress he acks normal, in fact when all the other Discus run and hid from me coming into the room, he is the only one that is almost happy to see me, yet he is dark.

my prams are
PH-6.7
KH-2-0 ??
GH-3
NO2-0
NO3-10
NH3/NH4-0
temp-86F
I am feeding live black worms for food, it seams this at the point is all they will eat, i am implying a method to see if i can get them to eat frozen food. I take a air line hose and attach it to a syringe that i got from the wisdom teeth Doc. and i suck up the black worms, i then stick the hoes filled with black worms, put it in the tank then shoot them out, i have gotten to the point where the Discus come up to the tube ready for feeding time, and i also have been working on how far down the tube i put my had(5 in. from the end) so i think i might be able to trick them by rinsing frozen blood worms and rinsing them like i do the Black worms and implying the same method i have been

as far as the darkness of my one Discus, Does anyone have thoughts??
your help is greatly appreciated
Ben

Heisenberg12

AC Members
Aug 4, 2012
What kind of substrate and background are you using? Is there any peppering on the PB?

Any pics?

Sent from my MB870 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
PB is not the one showing the dark colors, its one of the Turquoises. as far as peppering on the PB yes there is a little but it was there when i got him not bad tho, i have white ish sand, black background 2 big pieces of drift wood, with java fern attached, and the top of the tank is covered with frogbit i do believe that i need more tall plants in the tank to provide hiding spots, its just weird he acts fine, eats great, issnt afraid like the others, i have had him the longest, and yet he is dark sometimes well most times

Bazzter84

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2012
Do u mind me asking what size is your tank? And what have you in it with the discus? Also how big is the said discus' eyes in relation to its body?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
they are housed in a 55 gallon aquarium, there is no other fish but Discus. the said Discus is about 3 1/4 inches, eyes about 1/4 inch maybe a little bigger.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
when a discus turns black.. it is one of the stressor signs.
is there any aggression in the tank?
is there a pecking order?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store