60g calvus & possible tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Hello! I'm making running through ideas for a 60g 48" tank. I'd like to throw some black calvus in there, but I'm not sure how many can work out in a tank this size. For tank mates, 3-4 pearl and/or opaline gouramis (trichogaster,) and a load of livebearers. The idea is to have all of the fry consumed, and then eventually maybe the parents can be eaten.

so how many calvus can fit comfortably?

and will these tankmates work well?

thanks

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
i was hoping the tank length and only having females would dilute that. madagascar rainbows or some other rainbows would work i guess

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
after scouring more articles and posts, it seems that when people say Calvus do well in a "community" aquarium, they imply a lake tang community.

They also say that they mind there own business and are not aggressive. do any of you have experience or knowledge of Calvus being housed with non cichlids?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Personal experience, no...but generally that implication is correct. Tangs seem to do best kept with other Tangs, although some people have no issue mixing with more open water fish like livebearers, rainbowfish, etc. since most Tang species stick to the rock/sand/shell areas.

With Calvus just keep in mind that eventually they will have big mouths.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
thanks for the tips. good thing i have a couple months to mull it over and decide whether the "experimentalness" is the route i wanna take or not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store