XP2 not working correctly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I did maintenance on my filter on Wednesday, afterward it has been making a whirring/whooshing noise about once every 60 seconds followed by the expulsion of bubbles from the out flo. I really don't think the water is circulating beyond that. I have unplugged it several times and have tried to reseat the part that holds the lines, and I have made sure the lines are full of water, I have made sure the canister is full of water, I have unsealed and resealed the top of the filter, and I have looked at the seal around the top of the filter and it appears to be fine. What have I missed, and what else should I do. I can order parts on the 11th if I need to and I have a Magnum HOT that I can plug in in the mean time if I need to. Please help.
linda

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
how far up is the water inside the canister? i occasionally get this issue with my rena xp after maintenance if the canister does not prime fully (water does not come up high enough inside the canister).

unplug the canister from the wall. do not lift up the lever on the hose assembly at all. lift one clamp on the canister lid slowly. watch for the water to come up a bit inside the canister. lock that clamp back down once the water comes up just above the blue part of the canister top/motor housing/lid that sits inside the canister. this should help.

hope that wasn't too confusing.

another issue that might be the cause is your o-rings and seals may need replacing. these do wear out after some time, and allow air into the canister, causing the air issue you describe. it is difficult to notice worn areas on the o-rings (the square one around the outside of the canister lid, as well as the round one in the middle underside of the canister lid) unless you take the o-rings out and very closely inspect them.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I overflowed the canister and water gushed out when I closed the clamps on the lid, so I'm pretty sure the water level inside the canister is good, This filter has only been in use for about 5 months, it was fresh out of the box so I doubt the o-rings are bad, but I can see about replacing them. I can't buy parts until the 11th, as my budget is tight.
thanks for the quick response.
linda

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The only moving part is the impeller. Remove it, and make sure it's intact, and that it functions correctly. To test it, hold it by the magnet and see how far you can spin the little propeller. If it spins all the way around and around it's bad, replace it. It should only spin about a half turn in each direction and then hit a stop. Also the magnet should be smooth. If it's really badly grooved it could be the problem, but usually the just get noisier as the grooves develop.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
It's either sucking air, which indicates a bad seal or sealing, or there is trapped air inside.
I suspect the latter.
What I do, is shake the filter while it's running, then unplug it for a minute or so, then plug it back in. Some times it takes a couple of cycles. If that doesn't do the trick, I take it apart again, clean up the O-ring grease, and put it back together again.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
well I don't know what happened but today after I came home from work it is operating right. Self correction such a deal =)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the trapped air most likely worked its way out of the filter. good to hear it's running properly now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store