Do my cichlids have fin rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
My cichlids all have black rimmed jagged fins, water quality is great. I do a 25% change every week. There is hardly any aggression at all. is this something I should worry about? It does not seem to be going away.

fin.jpg

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
How big is your tank? How many cichlids are in there? What kinds of cichlids? This play a big part of water changes.

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
125 gallon. 1 gt, 1 jd, 1 texas, 1 firemouth, and 1 convict. 5 giant danios. Any one else have this problem with thier fishes fins????

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
May jags fin is slightly ragged.

I don't think the convict in the picture has finrot. Finrot pretty much always leaves a white outline to the fins where the tissue is dying.

HTH

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Could it be a fungus or something else? My texas also has a black ragged edge too.

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Anyone? I know there are knowledgeable people out there. Is it me or does it seem that Aquaria central is becoming either less helpful or maybe its just nobody is coming here anymore. Used to be you would have a problem and everyone would answer. I do not buy that no one knows or can not help me. This place used to be about fish, now everyone who is here is in the general chit-chat forum. I come here for expert advice on my fish to keep them healthy and happy, that is what I thought of the people here, experts. Now I think I will start searching for another fish forum where people still help.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
This place used to be about fish, now everyone who is here is in the general chit-chat forum.
GCC is closed, no one is there.

The cichlid section of this forum has always been slow, I'm sorry if you weren't getting an aswer quick enough ;).

Fungus also usually has white or gray areas. I think it is just your fish's fins; like I said, my jaguar has ragged fins and I'm positive that she is in good health.

I used to have a huge male convict that had ragged fins too; I think that is all part of older males. I've seen other pictures of male cons with fins like yours has.

HTH

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Thanks to those who took the time to answer my question. I will get some melafix.

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
No. Absolutely not. That's a normal fin. Actually the black extensions are also know as "trailing fins" You will see fish that are in the process of attracting a fish of the opposite sex get them. It's also a great thing to see on a show fish. It's a very good sign...and it looks great.

The melafix you are going to add, won't hurt the fish. It's not a bad additive...however people have a variety of opionions about its benefits. Your best bet is to continue your weekly water changing routine. Every once in a while try for a larger water change. I have gone as far as 75% on a tank. It won't hurt.

The tank size is excellent for the number and variety of fish you have. If they have grown up at the same time, all the better.

There is NOTHING wrong with that Convicts fins.

On a personal note, you should really try and refrin from lashing out at folk who don't immediately jump on your topic. Instead try and shoot off an e-mail to one of the staff or another member.

Given the options, I would take NO answer over the wrong answer anyday. Enjoy the hobby.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store