Whitewood for a stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I just went to home depot for some 2x4s for a stand. The selection was poor so i got the only straight 2x4s i could find. They were labeled as white wood. are these ok for a stand construction? I noticed they felt a bit light as I was loading them into the car.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It is possible that it is white pine which is a very soft wood. If it is, I doubt I would trust it for a stand. I learned a long time ago that a local lumberyard has a better selection and competitive prices. I no longer go to HD or Lowes due to personal preference.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Thats what I get for listening to the guy at home depot. I'm sort of handy but don't know a thing about wood. He insisted it was just as strong as the other 2x4 option just with less knots. I chose to believe him because the other pile was horrendously warped. A quick google search is only showing me one other place in the area with lumber but I'm going to return the whitewood tomorrow and check out the other store.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
White wood isn't a species. It's a marketing label for any whitish softwood that Home Depot and other big box stores sell.
It may come from Canada, Sweden, Denmark, or any other area that grows and exports wood.
...As long as your stand is wood to wood to wood to floor, it will work.
Tanks weigh a lot, but the load distribution is much better than a woman walking across a wood floor in high heels.

There was an NPR report last week talking about Southern yellow pine being exported to Iraq.
Apparently they love it.
My father's nick name for that wood was snotty yellow pine.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I did some research on the wood and according to the stamp on the wood it can either be spruce, pine, or fir, and its no.2 grade lumber.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I returned the lumber to HD and went to the only other store in the area today. They carried essentially the same wood with the SPF stamp, however, it did feel a little bit better. It seems I will have to settle and use this wood for my stand.

EDIT: I also just realized I bought deck screws by accident :/ That's what happens when you assume the screws in one section will all be the same. Will these work or should I go get a different box?

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
pine is fine for a stand..it is often used for furniture
it's pine.spruce,fir any of which will work

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It's highly likely that the building supporting you and the tank is doing so with the kind of wood you're talking about.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
White wood isn't a species. It's a marketing label for any whitish softwood that Home Depot and other big box stores sell.
It may come from Canada, Sweden, Denmark, or any other area that grows and exports wood.
...As long as your stand is wood to wood to wood to floor, it will work.
Tanks weigh a lot, but the load distribution is much better than a woman walking across a wood floor in high heels.
exactly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store