What Kind of Algae Eater Am I?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
OK.... So I went to a certain box pet store to get some mollies for my 45 gallon tank. While I was in there, I noticed they had Otos on sale, and decided to get one to help with the constant algae issues this tank seems to have. Well, of course, I got the new girl who couldn't tell an oscar from a guppy, and I ended up with something that is definitely NOT an Oto... When it was smaller, I kind of thought it could be, but now that it has grown about .5" - I can tell it is not one... I can't decide if it is a Siamese Algae Eater, or a Chinese Algae Eater. It sort of looks more like a CAE which scares me, but I've Googled some pictures and it doesn't look exactly like one... I'm torn, so I am turning to you guys for some help haha. He moves rather quickly, so sorry for the crappy phone picture, but it's the best I could get of him.
20120902_233200.jpg

20120902_233200.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks like a Gyrinocheilus aymonieri (Chinese algae-eater) to me.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Definitely a Chinese Algae Eater, if it eats any algae at all (usually doesn't in most cases).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I agree it is a CAE. I have a few of them and they all do a great job of eating algae. I also had a couple that did become aggressive.

mgarrido

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
NW Houston, Texas

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sometimes they'll do wafers and such, but other than that they just bully around everything else in a tank.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Sometimes they'll do wafers and such, but other than that they just bully around everything else in a tank.
IME I would have to disagree. I have had a few in my short fish keeping days and would have to give them an overall positive mark. Yes some are aggressive, but all are very good algae eaters. I have lost a couple and after they were gone the algae came.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store