should I be worried about these rocks??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
so, I found 4 largish rocks about 10' from the shoreline of one of my local beaches. they were sittin at the bottom of a large sandy hill for who knows how long, in the sun, not buried.

I poured vinegar over bits of them, and there was no reaction. I then washed them with a hose about 5 times, at full pressure/blast, and then let them dry in the sun. this spanned over about 1.5 days. I also put them in a bucket with very hot/almost boiling water, let them sit for about 20 min, scrubbed them with a brush, washed them in hot water again, and then placed them in the tank.

the tank is a 40g breeder, and is currently cycling, but I have 2 goldfish currently waiting to go into it. it will be a planted fancy goldfish tank.

initially, I wasnt worried, as I have used similar rocks from this beach/area in freshwater tanks before without issue. now, though, I am starting to worry a little bit more. is my worry justified?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store