What is this creature? And would it like living in my fish tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
I find these little guys in my pool a few times a week. I'm not sure what it is (salamander? newt?). Maybe someone here can identify it?

Anyways, they chill out at the bottom of the pool, are pretty good at swimming (when I try to catch them) - but obviously, the chlorine, algaecide, or automatic vacuum eventually kill them... However, I'm not sure if they are chilling out at the bottom because they can't get out, or if it is because they actually like to live at the bottom of bodies of water.

If I notice them, I usually scoop them out and throw them into my neighbors lawn on the other side of the yard.

This guy was kinda lucky, hes new in the pool as of today, and I have not added a lot of chemicals in the last week because of the cold temperature - end of season up here in Maine. So I figured he might actually survive. So when I found him, I took him out and put him in a Tupperware of conditioned tap water... And figured I would ask you guys what you thought of the situation.

So now that I have my 20 gallon tank, I'm wondering if this is the sort of creature that would live in an aquarium, or if they really belong in a paludarium or terrarium or something.

Can I keep him?? :D
IMGP4180.jpg

Thanks for your input.

IMGP4180.jpg

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I don't see why not!! I realize its a wild creature, but the fact that it's living in your pool means its not that wild!! JK. But, a terrarium with a deep pool would probably be best. You also have no clue if its poisonous, so maybe wear gloves until you figure out what it is. Of course, you said you've handled them before, so you may be ok. Still, before you decide to keep it, be sure to learn how to take care of it, what type of official enviroment (other than your pool:)) it lives in, and then maybe set it up. Hmm... when you picked it up, was it scaly, or smooth like a frog? If its smooth like a frog, its probably a salamander. This may help:http://www.sheepscot.org/Nature/aug11nature.html

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
I actually did not touch it, i used a net. However, I do not believe there are any poisonous species of anything besides a spider and caterpillar in Maine (Could be wrong tho).

edit: yea, looks like a red back salamander. Probably best kept in a terrarium and not my existing fish tanks - which do not have lids.. nor places for it to crawl out of the water or burrow in moist dirt.

I'll be sending him on over to the neighbors lawn for now.

Last edited:

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
He is not fully aquatic. Not sure the exact species, but I use to find those under rocks on my parents property all the time as a kid.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Yep - It's a mud salamander and not aquatic so it belongs in the wild or a terrarium, but not an aquarium.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Redbacks are a bit of a nuisance to feed compared to larger Salamanders. Since they're not big enough to eat commercial red worms, you'll need to use Blackworms, and/or culture Grindals/Whiteworms, springtails, or some other little critters for food. Getting them out and back into their natural environment is the biggest favor you can do them. Take a walk in the woods nearby and let them go where there are a good number of downed and decaying trees. A log so rotten that you can kick it to pieces is a 5 star hotel with an all you can eat buffet for Redbacks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store