breeding bristlenose plecos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thecichlidguy

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
for the best output of fry would it be best to keep a group of L-144's consisting of 2m/2f (+1 smaller one that i think might be male) or should i keep pairs of them in different tanks? my group is in a 40 breeder and they are breeding but only the biggest male and female ever breed. also would 10 gallon tanks be big enough for each full grown pair? thank you all for your help in advance.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Keeping the pairs seperate will help get your smaller pair to breed. Dominant males are the ones who normally get to breed and well naturally thats the big boy. Also you could probably get away with a 10 gallon for breeding them but a 20 would be better so there is less worry about water paremeters fluctuating due to waste load and from weather temps.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
A 10-gallon is fine for a breeding trio and then some fry. I separate my breeding pairs (of L-144's) into 10-gallon tanks without issue when I want to keep some fry but you must keep on top of the water as things could go badly really fast in a smaller tank. I had major issues with a couple of my tanks last month after I returned from an extended trip, but that is another story :irked: . I generally select one male and two females for breeding my L-144's and I have even had both females deposit their eggs for the male. I put the females back after they have set some eggs and then I put the male back into their larger tanks when their job with the fry is done, and then continue to raise the fry in the 10-gallon tank. That is what works best for me but there are a lot of ways that other folks raise their fish. It all comes down to what works for you that is best.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I would focus on fry growth rather than raw production. If you can get them to decent size, especially to the point the males have bristles, you will find you will get a lot more for the young.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I raise mine in 10 gallon tanks one pair to each tank. I dump the fry out once they have absorbed most of their yolk sack into a separate 10 gallon tank that serves as the nursery. Once the fry get to about a half inch long I move them to one of two 29 gallons to grow up to sellable size.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store