poor flow through Whisper power filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
I have a 20 gallon tank that's been established for maybe 8 years or so. It currently houses some platys (fry to adults), two minnows, and nine amano shrimp. I do regular water changes, and in general have a healthy tank. I've replaced the heater twice, and the lights once or twice. Attached to the tank are two filters, one biowheel and one whisper power filter (not sure the model). However, nowadays I find that the whisper power filter doesn't have good flow anymore. It seems to be due to algae buildup within the innards. If I clean out the filter and the impeller, the flow improves, but it eventually goes bad again, with increasing frequency. I can't open up the tubing/innards to clean out the algae, and I'm guessing it's gunking up the works. Or maybe the motor is going? Is it time to get another HOB filter? I have two of different types in case one conks out.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I've got 6-7 of the Whispers both original style and new style. A flexible tubing brush gets up into the tubes OK. More than likely the impeller is gone. The "energizer" will either work or it won't. IME I've never had one "slow down". It's always been the impeller.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
When I say slow down, the flow that is supposed to be a waterfall is now basically a trickle, with some leakage out the side next to the intake. I guess it's time for me to get a new filter.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
water coming back into the tank beside the intake pipe means your filter media is too clogged up and the water is backing up in the filter, causing the water to exit the filter in the means of least resistance - at the area where the intake pipe goes into the filter.

the whisper filters are a bit of a pain to clean as far as the intake tube goes. i use a pipe cleaner, run warm water at the sink, and keep running that pipe cleaner up and down the tube under running water until it is gunk free. works great. i do this for all my hob filter intake pipes/tubes.

putting a pre-filter sponge on a hob filter will greatly help in keeping the filter media from clogging too quickly. the pre-filter sponge goes on the end of the intake tube, in the tank. this is also great for keeping small fish, fry, and snails and shrimp out of your filter. pre-filter sponges do need cleaned out on a regular basis, because they are trapping the gunk that would otherwise be going into the filter.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I am guessing this is the older style whisper like this one?

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Power-Filter-Parts/I/WHISPER-20-C-Parts.aspx

If so, I have a bunch of that series also. It all comes apart. A toothbrush will get most of the crud inside the tube, you need a flexible brush to get the short horizontal tube on top. A coating of algae is ugly but I've never seen it block the flow. Make sure the little triangle the impeller sits in (part of the energizer) is crud-free. If the impeller does not seat all the way it won't work right.

Having said all that, it is quite possible your impeller is worn or the magnet has died. The "motor" consists of the energizer, which is just a big coil of wire and the impeller which is just a spinning magnet. After 8 years I'd consider a new impeller, I've had two of mine fail after about 6 years.

I am presuming the filter flows the same with or without the bio and mechanical filter in it.

Ditto on using a prefilter too. I use the filter for a Penguin 660r on my Whisper HOBs

Last edited:

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, that's the filter. Typically when I clean, I clean all the parts to remove the crud. It flows better afterwards, but only takes a couple of weeks before it trickles. It's not blockage from the filter media itself, as it trickles even if I take all the filter parts out.

I guess I just need a new filter. I'll get some pre-filter sponges too for both filters. Is there an HOB filter which is easier to clean than the Whisper power filters, or are the newer Whisper power filters easier to clean?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i highly recommend the Aquaclear hobs. best hob filters i've ever used.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I have some Aquaclears also. They filter well and are quieter than the Whispers.

However, I find they also slow up and need cleaned every few weeks just like my Whispers.

It's going to cost $12-13 shipped for an impeller. An AC 30 shipped will be $27 shipped at Dr Foster & Smith...they have a good sale going on. You can get an AC50 for $5 more.

Of course if you like the original Whisper, they are blowing out those too...the 30 is $20 shipped.

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I like aquaclears as well.

As far as needing to clean every couple weeks I don't think you'll find a HOB that doesn't require that. Prefilter helps though I've gone a couple months between cleaning my AC's on my planted tanks since I have prefilters on the intakes, of course I have to squeexe them out every few days in trade.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
my hobs get cleaned every couple months at most. they don't clog up, overflow, or do the intake tube trickle thing. i don't run pre-filter sponges. my Aquaclear 110 on my oscar tank works like a dream, alongside a large canister.

if your hob needs cleaning every couple weeks then you are most likely over-feeding or not clearing enough mulm out of the substrate/tank during water changes. tank could also be overstocked, with the excessive fish waste clogging the filter. all that extra gunk gets sucked into the filter, causing the media to clog up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store