Problem with new Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DanqueDynasty

Experienced Amatuer
Feb 14, 2012
Escondido
I am having some kind of problem with the new Discus I had acquired on Friday(8/31). He was fine when I had gotten him, but has somehow stopped eating. His colors are darkened and he tends to hang around while tilted a bit. The worst part is that he doesn't seam to have interested in food. He is currently being held in a 10 gallon tank. It really concerns me cause it has been almost three days since I last saw him eat. Bloodworms and beefheart doesn't seam to interest him. The temperature stays in the 86-88 range. The water quality is all perfect, and all water conditions are where they should be. A quick response to the problem would be helpful. Thanks

-DanqueDynasty

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
The water quality is all perfect, and all water conditions are where they should be.
:huh: Not to be challenging but there's something not quite 'perfect' & my guess is the water. Of course without exact parameters that's all it can be is a guess. Filtration, W/C frequency, what's in the tank are all open ques.?? A little more info & maybe we can figure this thing out. "T"

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Need more info...

What have you been feeding him in the past?
Is he alone in the tank?
What are the water parameters?
Whats the water temperature?
How big is the discus?
Does he eat, and then spit the food out?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
As others have said, there are so many questions remaining unanswered, that it's not possible to help you at this point.
You mentioned the discus is "currently" being held in a 10 gallon tank. Is that an isolation/hospital tank, and if so, were were you keeping him before (since it's been over 2 weeks since you got him/her). That is, what have you moved him from.
We need to know it's size, where you got it - i.e. what is the supply source, is it experienced/reliable - did you get others with it - are there other fish in the tank(s) you were keeping it in ?
Is the tank planted or not?
As others have asked, we need to know your wc frequency & quantity, and test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.
And as Tony has said, something's not quite right, and certainly not 'perfect', with the water quality or conditions if the discus is dark and not eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store