Should I add discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon tank with 6 discus. I've had them for almost 6 months. They were all about 2 1/2 - 3 inches when I got them, and now several are 4 inches or so and there is one that hasn't grown much at all. I've read that you should get an odd number and the LFS has a very nice 3 or 3 1/2 inch discus. (I originallly ordered 7 and one didn't come.) If I add the new discus to the tank, it will be tied for the 2nd or 3rd smallest (i.e. 3 current fish much (an inch or so) bigger, 1 current much smaller and two curent fish close in size). Is this a very bad idea?

nterry

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I would probably take the smaller one out and try to get it into a situation where it can put on some size. If you are hoping to get a pair, you still should have good odds with the 5 remaining fish.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
with discus it's usually the more the merrier...
but if one is smaller it is usually the result of it being muscled out at feeding.
adding one more may help but the new fish should be placed in QT for atleast 4 weeks.
Verbal made a good suggestion.. you could simply remove the smaller one and place it in a tank where it can feed alone and get bigger..it can eventually be added back but you may see it get pushed around

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
If you have had these discus 6 months and they have only grown 1" then something is ammiss. Either A-your not giving them proper care or B-they were of poor quality to begin with. In either case you should hold off on purchasing any new fish until you can deterrmine the root of the problem. How often are you changing your water, how much, and what are you feeding?

Rick

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:popcorn:Not much growth in 6mo. Before I can recommend adding more, need some bckgrnd. W/C regimen, nutrition (what kind-how much-how often), filtration, other inhabitants??? "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store