How to dissolve agression problems?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
I have a pleco that is really mean and I need some creative ideas on how to calm him down? As far as I know he only gets REALLY bad around food, although hes kind of an all around jerk, even though he has a nice round belly. A little fat too. He spends more time defending about a square foot of space w/food in the center than he does eating the actual food. He attacked my smaller male so bad that the poor guy is missing a big piece of his lip. I feel so bad for him :( the big jerk is my 6" male bushynose and the injured male is 3". His body mass is 4x-5x the other guys though, the big 1 is really wide and the little guy is like a piece of slate, really compressed body. He attacks my cories, gobies, frogs, other bn plecos, rams, discus, gourami, oto, and a few I'm missing... he is really anti-social and he hides all day long, LOVES to watch me though. Especially when he checks to see if I have food. He has this little spot on my driftwood where you can only see his eyes poking out. also he's very sensitive to light. Big bully though. So I now go through ~10 algae wafers a day. The big guy eats most of it though. I put 2 in front the center, 2 in the left corner, and 1 in back the center. 2x a day. Nobody swims on the right side of my tank idk why though... I have 4 bushynose. 1 little baby longfinned albino, 2 male short fins, and 1 fm shortfin. 1", 3", 6", 2". In that order.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
10 algae wafers a day? That seems like way too much. I'm hoping you're feeding other things as well.

If it's becoming too much of a problem, the simple answer is to remove the fish. Male Ancistrus are territorial, but generally just among themselves.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
You can also try and introduce more pleco hides or caves. He might be defending his own spot, so adding others would give an equal playing field.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store