Mudpuppy question again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
hello ac,

my mudpuppy is doing pretty good and all but what i notice is that he rarely peeks his head out of his cave. it's really large and spacey and all that so i can see why he enjoys staying in there but even at night he'll just peak his head out calmly and wait for a fish or worm to pass by. i'm ok with this but i want to see him more active at night and i think the reason he's hesitant to go out is possibly because of some of the lights i still have on sometimes. so just now, i got a red piece of construction paper and wrapped it around the ott light i usually use for the plants in his tank as a temporary imitation blacklight. it's because i heard that amphibians can only see black and white and see red as "darkness" and are therefore more active when you have a blacklight on. all i notice is that my gecko (tank right next to the mudpuppy's) was out and about of his hut for like 5-10 minutes then went back but the mudpuppy peaked its head out again for the same amount of time. so i'm asking you guys if this black light technique would work and help stimulate activity with my mudpuppy?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
its usually a low-wattage LED spotlight, white or blue, that adds a small amount of light to the tank and looks like moonlight hitting the water

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
They're nocturnal and do not like to feed/hunt during the day. I would make it a night themed tank and use the moonlights during the day so's you can see him.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
i've read that article dozens of times, haha. another question, if i get a hang-on-the-back filter would that make an appropriate river-ish current for a 20g long? i want to get a filter like that to lower the temp and clean the water more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store