Finbiter(s)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paula1960

Registered Member
Sep 6, 2012
The Netherlands
Real Name
Paula
Hello all out there, I am new here, so probably I shall make some mistakes, but I am sure you show me the right way to do things.

Details: 250liter / 66 gallon tank
Eheim 2217 pomp
Temp 27 C./ 82 F.

After a long journey from Denmark to the Netherlands (husband is Danish I am Dutch) the few fish we had were transported in a big bucket from Royal Canine dogfood because we needed the good water for the start up (cleaned it first ofcause)
8 cardinals
2 gold gourami (male/ female)
2 algae eaters

So we started to get the tank ready and after 2 days we put the fish back in there home.
After 2 months or so we bought some new cardinals.
Replaced one of the lamps
The plants started to grow
1 algae eater and 1 gold gourami died (they were old) month later

In two years time we bought Gold gourami (just to make it a couple again, but the old one couldn’t stand that younger thing and died after few weeks), 5 platy’s, 5 black molly’s. 5 cardinals, and 5 guppy’s.
All goes well.

March, for birthday my husband get 2 blue gourami male/female, 2 dwarf gourami male/female 2 bloodheart tetra bought as male/female, turns out they are both male, 5 redhead zalm.

After month the problems are starting:
The guppy’s tales eaten away, we had some youngsters of them so we thought to many male, than the female dwarf died and the male bellyfin and tail totally bitten off

We bought a second hand little tank (came with a few black molly’s, so they went in the big one, put water from big tank in the little one and put the male dwarf in the little tank to recover….it did.

In mean time more tales are eaten away but only in the night because in daytime we see no fighting or chasing.
The dwarf is healed, put back in big tank and we took out the bloodheart tetra’s (2 males) with 2 male guppy's.
It seems to go fine in big tank, we have lot of guppy youngsters and decide to take 2 moonfish (angelfish) to have a great eating party.
Bought 2 females for the dwarf, because he shall chase when we only buy 1 they said.
Week later, tails are eaten from female gold gourami and male blue gourami
We take the redhead zalm out and put with the bloodheart tetra’s and guppy's, there is no tailbiting at all in little tank except that the 2 male bloodheart tetra's cant stand each other on such a small area.

Tails from moonfish is a little piece off.
Male dwarf makes tale small like he is afraid, but is not hiding out, actually no fish was ever hiding out, (than swim trough the plants and come out again)

The gold gourami is pushing against the side of both blue and the dwarf male, but it seems to be that they dont care.

So from the birthdaygift only the 2 blue gourami is left in the big tank.
Who is the guilty one??? The female Blue gourami??? The little tank is too small to put her in to find out.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store