Mollys Need Salt? - Are mine ok without?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
My LFS said mollys can use a little salt in the water. Is this necessary?

I had a black molly, and still have a creamsicle molly. The black molly died today - but he was kinda weird.

OK, my whole tank is a male beta, 3 guppies, and the mollys in a 20gal long tank (the betta actually doesnt bother the other fish, well except for like the first couple hours - hes chill now).

The black molly was kinda weird. None of the other fishes would go near him - they would stay on the opposite side of the tank. And he would bearly move at all. And when I fed the fish and all the other ones went cray cray, he would just stay at the bottom and float around like nothing was happening.

My LFS said I probably just got a bad one and that I should have brought him in for a refund (but i flushed him, woops!) - but they also mentioned mollys like a little salt in the water.

And how much is a little? Like a 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal? What about my other fish? I bet they dont like salt. Is it worth adding any salt? My creamsicle molly seems to be doing fantastic, she looks like shes always doing a mating dance with the guppies.

Any advice is appreciated!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Mollies can actually go into full FW or full SW, but if you make it SW you need to do it very slowly. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1346982177.486324.jpg
That picture is from one of the members here, I forgot who. Those mollies are in full SW with a clownfish.

I have never had a problem keeping my mollies in FW without salt.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1346982177.486324.jpg

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Mollies are in nature are pretty commonly found in brackish conditions, they can do either FW or full marine though, I've kept them in both, the FW ones got no salt since other fish they were living with were sensitive to salt. Your betta will not like the salt.

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
Mollies are fresh water fish that can tolerate brackish water. They don't need salt.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Many livebearers like hard water & salt can help them in softish water. They can handle salt in varying degrees, up to & including full SW.

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
Thanks everyone - I'll be avoiding the salt for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store