1st saltwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I am setting up a 29 gallon saltwater tank. This will be my 1st. My live rock will be here later today. For stock I am thinking 10 hermit crabs and 2 ocellaris clownfish. Is that too much? I would also like to sadd a small starfish, I was thinking of a Fromia milleporella. Would this work?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
clowns and hermits are fine, may want to consider a few different types of snails... maybe check out the packages offered over on reefcleaners. I would try to avoid blue legs personally, they have a habit of killing each other and snails for shells even when extra empties are laying around.

The star I'm not sure about, I would guess you'll have to target feed it probably won't be able to scavenge enough food on its own in a 29g.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Congrats on the new tank! A 29 sounds great for what you are keeping. Agree with a small variety of snails to add to your cleanup crew.

A fromia is going to be your best option and it should be added later once your tank has matured. They do not tolerate changes of any kind so allow the tank to mature a little before attempting one.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Just finished acclimating 5 hermits which I just picked up at the LFS. They have been in the tank less than 5 minutes and 1 has already switched to one of the extra shells I put in. LOL

Next I will be ordering the 29G cleaner package from Reefcleaners. Is it a good idea to add the snails right away or would it be better to wait?

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Am I correct in that your tank is 6 to 7 days old? If so, don't add anything else. While crabs and snails are cheap, they will not survive a cycle (which has yet to have happen at 7 days).

Once cycled, Reefcleaners is great but understand that you will likely get A LOT more than you order. 5+ times the quantity you order is not unheard of with them. While this is nice, you end up with way more than you actually need. If your LFS will give you a little credit for the extras go for it, if not you may just want to buy some individuals. Snails of all types/sizes are $0.99 each around here.

Snails, crabs and other inverts should be acclimated slowly (starfish even more so) but once acclimated they are fairly durable (except when a hermit decides it wants a snail's shell :)).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That would be correct. When would be a good time to add snails? My water parameters prior to water change this morning were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate.

I would wait a month before adding anything else. Leave the crabs in there, they will help the cycle.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That thing in the middle?? Looks like Aiptasia===Bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store