Beta with dropsy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have a beta that I rescued and I think he may have dropsy. A few days ago he became bloated and wasn't eating, he would just spit it out. I thought he was constipated, so I let him be and haven't fed him. Today he looks a lot worse and I believe he is pineconing out, and Is very washed out. He's been bottom sitting since yesterday. Is this dropsy, and if so, what should I do since there is no cure?
This is him 2 days ago:

And this is him today:

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sorry to hear.

As dropsy is a symptom, not a diseases itself, it's hard to diagnose what exactly is happening. There are several options to try and keep the bloating down (feed peas, salt baths, etc.) and you could always see if that helps your betta. Keeping the water as clean as possible can only help as well.

Unfortunately, oftentimes once the fish gets to the dropsy stage it is too late.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Thanks for replying. I have a friend that specializes in beta and she said it sounds like he's having liver failure and to dose anti parasite meds. I did a 50% wc today and dosed some anti parasite meds. I can't really tell if he's better today. He won't eat anything anymore, I tried feeding him peas. Maybe tomorrow I will try to feed him again.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Well, sometime between 7 and 8:30 he passed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store