Neon tetras going into shock and dying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
I live in a small area and there is only one place to get fish without traveling at least 70 miles (minus Walmart). I like the little store, but I'm questionable about how they treat their cheaper fish.
today I decided to buy 6 neon tetras to add some color to one of my tanks. When the lady at the fish store went to net the fish, many of them went belly-up. She explained to me that it happened all the time with their neons and Oscars and she thought it was heart attacks. I saw a few of them "come back" after being put back in the tank, so I assumed it was shock. It made me nervous that she kept checking that the fish were alive while I was checking out.
It is a short 8 mile trip home. By the time I got there, one was dead. 15 minutes into floating their bag, two more died! There was no extreme temperature change or any unnecessary shock. one thing I did notice is there was a louse in their bag, and a pretty big one for as small of a fish they are.
I was wondering if they are just that sensitive of a fish that they are dying of stress/shock or if it is more likely a water condition/disease? I wish I would have saved some water to test (ooh and I got the louse off too!)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
unfortunately neons are often one species that has problems

one thing to check..how long the fish in the LFS have been in the tank. I find that in some cases they are part of a new shipment.
in this case you may find more die off.
if you can find some that have been allowed to get somewhat established at the lfs you may fare better.
are you using any quarantine process?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't trust a store's stock if they are so noticeably having problems with certain fish, and admit to it...neons can be sensitive, but it doesn't seem like much could have been done on your end. It's unfortunate you don't have any better options.

How are the rest doing?

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks. I'm not sure if they were new stock or not, that is a possibility. I know they've had many neons every time I've been there and they didn't have an exceptional amount this trip. No quarantining. I have them in a 10 gallon tank right now that I just moved some healthy guppy fry from (before adding them, of course.)
Like I said, the ones that died didn't even make it out of the bag. It was strange seeing the ones being netted just instantly dying.
The other three are still alive and seem to be adjusting well. If they survive a week or so I might have to make an hour our so trip to get them a few buddies.

I don't have anything against the lfs and I will purchase from them again, just not neons. It's a little family owned place and they have a lot of stock for the three (all family) staff that runs it. I've gotten many fish from there and they have thrived. Like I also said, it seems they just shrug of their cheaper fish.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
if you like the look of neons, see if the store can get some cardinal tetras in one of the shipments. They look very similar to each other, but at the same time, cardinals subtly look much better (kinda contradicts, but it makes sense.)

They also tend to be hardier, also. maybe $3-5ish each... it may have to do with wild caught cards vs captive bred neons?

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
if you like the look of neons, see if the store can get some cardinal tetras in one of the shipments. They look very similar to each other, but at the same time, cardinals subtly look much better (kinda contradicts, but it makes sense.)

They also tend to be hardier, also. maybe $3-5ish each... it may have to do with wild caught cards vs captive bred neons?
Most Neons AND Cardinals in the trade are wild caught.

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
It ended up that two of them died in the night. I found a very small white spot on ones fin, so I'm assuming they aren't healthy and the added stress of being moved was just too much. I expect to lose the last one today. I'll probably add salt to my tank, let it sit empty for a few days, and reintroduce guppy fry for a bit before getting another school because I'm nervous about the louse I found.
the neon tetra look isn't my favorite, my fiancee picked them out.

Ethox

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2019
I have 6 and one just went right side up I saved them because the stores condition is way too unclean and too much stress is being pounded on them this one tetra is still breathing but immobilised and I'm doing a oxygen therapy to atleast try to make it recover from shock, In years of experience I would highly recommend you not buying cheap fish from a store that is not capable of taking care of their fish you will more likely get the other fish in the tank infected by any parasites (if there's any) and they add these chemicals to make the fish appear more brighter but slowly killing them in the process

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store