The Curse of the Endler's Spine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BruinsBro1997

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
California
Real Name
Ben
Lately my females endlers livebearers have been disappearing. A few days before they disappear I always notice they have a deformed spine. At first it was just my female endlers. They always have deformed spines before they disappear and I never find any trace of their body whatsoever. Now one of my ember tetras has it as well. I'm starting to wonder if this is actually a contagious disease and I need to QT the whole tank or it's just bad stock (I do buy all my fish from the same store).
Water params:
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 20-40 ppm depending on when I test them.

Here's two pictures. Normal vs. deformed spine
Excuse the specs in the water I just did a water change an hour ago.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1347069681.240672.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1347069733.769610.jpg

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
For the time being, don't pick up any more fish. If it's one of a couple of diseases, it's too late to do anything.
First, I'd be looking for an aggressive fish attacking - probably at night. What else, specifically other fish, are in the tank?

BruinsBro1997

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
California
Real Name
Ben
For the time being, don't pick up any more fish. If it's one of a couple of diseases, it's too late to do anything.
First, I'd be looking for an aggressive fish attacking - probably at night. What else, specifically other fish, are in the tank?
I actually haven't picked up any fish for quite a while now. The endlers were the newest additions from about a month ago to round out my stocking.

There are other ember tetras (I don't remember how many probably 8 now), a school of 6-8 rummy noses, five bronze cories, five thread fin rainbows and an angel. I think it may be aggression from the angel but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Neither of those look like Endlers to me...actually look closer to pale Ember Tetras. Was that your intent?

And yes, not a good idea to buy any more fish til you figure out what's going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store