Can i mix female bettas with dwarf goiramis??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angelvelez87

Registered Member
Jul 30, 2012
Hi im trying to make an acrylic tank 30Lx16Wx12H wich is like less than 20gal. And i wanted to try and have 3 female crowntail bettas that i already have and add maybe a beautiful dwarf gourami! Can i actually put then together??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
In that size tank it would definitely be a bad idea. A general "rule" is to not mix different anabantoid species, although there are always exceptions.

If anything you could try adding another female or two. Just keep an eye out on any excessive bullying as they work out their hierarchy.

Palillom13

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
I had 6 female Betas in a 46 Bow front and of course they fought to find out a hierarchy.... But about 4 months later I came home to 4 if them dead and torn up I guess they decided they were gunna have a war but still from my own experience... Female Betta sorority is a huge NO GO

BruinsBro1997

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
California
Real Name
Ben
I would really suggest you don't. I've tried a female honey gourami with a female betta imbellis together and it worked, but that was just an exception to the rule. I also tried a female sorority of three once. It was fine for three months before slowly they all started become more aggressive and eventually had to return them all. I would just either put a gourami or a betta in there.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Had 5 females in a 30 gallon without any problems after the first couple weeks when the pecking order was established...I take that back, the only problem was that one died from jumping out of the tank before becoming a shriveled remnant of a female betta.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Never keep Betta and Gourami in the same tank. There gonna fight and your gonna end up with dead fish and if any survive, they may not for long because of there injuries.

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Never keep Betta and Gourami in the same tank. There gonna fight and your gonna end up with dead fish and if any survive, they may not for long because of there injuries.
I do think it depends on the gourami and the behavior of both fish.

I've kept honey ( my dwarf honey gourami) with marble ( female betta) together for almost three years together. No problems and I haven't seen any agression. Only aggression I saw was from the shrimps in which would scare both beta and gourami away from wafers and other food. Haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store