Betta in a community tank question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smatts

AC Members
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Visit site
Do you think I could put a betta in this 10 gallon tank?

Currently home to: 2 Dwarf Honey Gourami's, 2 Dwarf Aquatic Frogs, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Cardinal Tetras.
There is a fair bit of plants and hiding spots in the tank.

The guy at the LFS said no because the danios might upset the betta with thier fast movements.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
My honey gourami ripped my male betta's fins to pieces :(. I wouldn't do it.

DarkPhoenix86

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
I'd like to add a male betta to my 20 gallon tank. i have plants, and like a lil cave sort of, that my algae eater seems to like. I presently have 2 plattys, 2 guppies, a fancy guppy, and 2 glass fish. would it be ok to add a male betta there also? and what temp. do bettas prefer?

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I don't see why not, just make sure that no one is nippy towards him.
They are pretty lax when it comes to temps. Anywhere from 75F-85F should be good.

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
In a way, they are more peaceful, BUT, bettas are labyrinth fish much like gourami so the gourami see them as a threat. Bettas are kind of slow and those long, flowing fins make them easy targets for an over zealous gourami.

B

BigFishDude

I'd worry about the guppies with the betta. The betta might mistake the guppies for another male betta due to there colorful tails.

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
There really isn't one right answer for this. Some bettas tolerate other fish and some don't. Some gouramis are aggressive and some aren't. I would suggest putting the betta in the tank BUT keep the betta's home intact and running. Check the tank every 30 min and see how the fish are acting and see if ther are any signs of aggression for any of the fish. If nothing has happened after about 4 hours then things will probibly be ok.

Keep a close eye on the tank for as long as the betta is there because I've know some of them that are ok for months and then snap.

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I had a Betta that I put in with my goldfish. The goldfish were terrified of him for about a week, then decided that the Betta was smaller than them so they got along just fine. IMO, I think that if the Betta you got was originally in a community tank when you purchased it, it should be alright in your tank. This said though, I haven't had any experience with gouramis so I can't say what they would do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store