Just bought a 40g breeder. I need help getting it ready!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Hey AC, I'm going to be upgrading my 20g Long to a 40g Breeder, but I need help on what equipment/substrate/plants to buy. Pretty much everything but the fish.

I want to do an easy maintenance planted tank. If I get a good substrate like Eco-complete (how much would I need?) and some decent lights, could I have a nice variety of plants without having to also do Co2 and fertilizers? How exactly do ferts works? Daily dosing/weekly? Does it get expensive?

Essentially once I'm done with the initial set up I want to be only doing weekly water changes and trimming any plants that get too big. What should I get?

Cover/Hood? What's the difference between a glass top and a glass canopy? I can't figure it out. Drfosters has the canopy on sale and the top is not.
Lights/bulbs? Need help here. Do I get a t5? What bulbs do I get? Really confused here.
Substrate? Is Eco-complete necessary? Could I just use sand? Would Eco + Sand on top be better?
Plants?

Thanks in advance. If anyone reading has a 40g, I'd love to check out and journals/pics you guys may have.

EDIT: I took out the heater from the 20g to check the watts, and it turns out that it's been recalled! http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html I remember these stealth heater were what everyone recommended a couple of years ago. Website says I can get my money back. Anyone here successful in that?

Last edited:

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
There are so many choices out there in regards to substrate, substrate color, lighting, plant choices ferts, etc. but to give you some input on an "easy maintenance planted tank" - I would use only rosette plants (Vals Sag, Swords, crypts, Bylxa, etc.) that way, there's not a whole lot of trimming involved, but for these types of plants, you will need a good substrate.

First, choose a substrate color you like. Eco complete and flourite, as well as some others come in a few different colors (black, brown, red - you could even mix them if you like). If you like the look of sand - I would definitely recommend pool filter (NOT PLAY) sand. I would put laterite under it for root development (others might recommend only root tabs)

I would use a twin tube T5HO lamp 8-10 hours a day. Choose lamps that appeal to your eye, after all you're the one looking at the tank. Plants are pretty adaptable when it comes to lamp color (I have one actinic and one 12k bulb over one of my tanks, I have a 5k and a 65k over another and my plants do great in both)

I would dose liquid ferts and API CO2 booster (or Flourish Excel) daily.

Hope this gets you in the right direction.

Best of luck with your new project,
Roy

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It can't get any easier than plants like java ferns, Anubias, Crypts, Vallisnaria, etc. Those wouldn't need anything more than maybe a single T8/T12 or if you want some more options you could get a twin strip or maybe a T5NO. When I had a low maintenance setup I didn't dose any thing other than Flourish comp and Excel whenever I felt like it.

I don't feel like HO is appropriate unless you're willing to go with CO2 and a more intensive fert regime given the dimensions of a 40B. The one benefit would be the opportunity to migrate more towards the high maintenance spectrum, but for the time being you would need to either run a single bulb, raise the fixture, or find another way to cut down on light.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with T5HO since like jpappy said, it would let me move up to higher maintenance plants if I so choose. I'm looking on Amazon and see quite a few options, including this one: http://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Aquar...id=1347160155&sr=1-39&keywords=Light+Fixtures which lets me customize how many bulbs I want on at a time and has LED night lights. Just gotta look up some reviews.

What are the best sites to get cheap equipment? I'm checking Amazon and Dr.Fosters. Any other suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store