Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Clip veggies to the wall of the tank every night and remove them, and the snails, every morning until you feel they're gone.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If you're looking to start from scratch, you could always bleach the tank. BUT you would need to make sure that the filters aren't running at the same time to retain the BB and you would want to go through the substrate, decor, etc. and remove all dead bodies. You don't want all that decomp happening when you set it up again.

Generally I would agree with the veggie method, but since fish aren't involved you can get a little more extreme and still be safe.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
+1

is this on the 180g? is it still for africans?

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
have any malaysian trumpet snails? If you do, you could sent me a bag of them. I love snails. Usually, if you keep from overfeeding, once they run out of algae, they just die off.....

cbster

AC Members
Nov 16, 2003
Freeburg, IL
Yes it is on the 180. I am still undecided on Africans or discus. I am thinking of draining everything and letting it all dry out and starting over. Do you think that would work?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
What type of snails? MTS are amazingly hardy, mystery/apple, ramshorns would be easier to kill off that way.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Yes it is on the 180. I am still undecided on Africans or discus. I am thinking of draining everything and letting it all dry out and starting over. Do you think that would work?
It depends on what kind of snail and how you will be drying it out. If you just leave the substrate in and drain the tank... even though after awhile the substrate seems dry... you could have snails again. I read a post not long ago about someone emptying a tank, removing the gravel after they though it was dry. Put it in a garbage and stored it. 6 months later, gave it to a friend setting up a tank and within a couple of weeks there were snails.

You could dry baking it in the oven for awhile maybe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store