DIY stand issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lyferxb9s

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
So I already posted this on MFK but I am sure there are different members on both and I want some good opinions. I stand has a wave in it, the center of the stand is aprox. 1/16th taller than the outsides. So the tank is sitting on a slight arch. I was told If I put down a 1/2'' piece of foam board down that it would be ok. Is this true? or should I just shim the hell out of the tank. It is a 125.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Is this with the tank full or empty? If the tank is empty make sure it's level and plumb, and then fill it slowly. If you don't see that arch disappear I would be truly amazed. If on the other hand the tank is already level, plumb, and full, then I'm already amazed!

Lyferxb9s

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
That seems like a Terrible idea. I'm not going to fill the tank and hope that the tank curves down on the outside. I'm curious to know if the sheet or foam will be enough to be safe or shims or both?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd be curious to see a pic of the stands construction...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
That seems like a Terrible idea. I'm not going to fill the tank and hope that the tank curves down on the outside. I'm curious to know if the sheet or foam will be enough to be safe or shims or both?
To a non carpenter I can see why. Look up the term "crown" in relation its usage in lumber. Quite likely the person who built the stand understood this, and considered this natural tendency of wood when he constructed the stand. Make no mistake about it, that stand is going to flex when a load as heavy as a tankfull of water is placed upon it. It sounds as if the builder took the crown of the wood into consideration when building the stand. The mark of someone who understands what they're doing.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I'd run a straight line from each corner and plane it down so it was straight. My wood stands all have the crown down. Not really a big difference either way on the short span of a tank and many times the short span negates any crown anyway. Putting crown up is great on floors, joists and rafters. On ceiling joists if the area above is attic it really won't matter so long as they are all the same direction. Same thing with studs in a wall. So long as the crown is in the same direction it doesn't matter a hill of beans.

Not real confident about it on glass fish tanks.
Remember too that a floor joist is a much longer span and the extra spring helps. Not really so much in a tank stand.

Lyferxb9s

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
Thanks Navy scuba. I bought a sheet of 1/2'' foam and shims lol. Are you still in Jacksonville? I just transferred from NAS two weeks ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store