Discus/planted tank advice, please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joshschroder

AC Members
Sep 6, 2012
I am looking to get into a planted discus tank. I have south american cichlids now (soon to be adopted out), but have always wanted a picturesque tank with nice discus swimming around. I have never really messed with live plants though, and want those up and healthy before i introduce the discs. Any advice on getting the plants going?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I agree.. spend some time reading 'planted tanks'
also a bitof advice.. discus require some extra work and their preferred environement may have some impact on the type plants you can/should keep with them.
that said they can be kept in planted tanks..thos eome would argue if they should be
;)

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Discus in a planted tank not only look great, but can be kept successfully if you give them that extra care and attention needed to maintain very good water conditions.
I suggest Josh, that you get a tank of at least 60 gals or larger, to accommodate 6 discus of a reasonable size - I recommend 4" fish if your wallet permits.

For ease of maintaining tank cleanliness, I suggest you consider using pool filter sand, no more than 3" deep, and using root tab ferts (along with regular moderate dosing of water column dry or liquid ferts).

Set up your tank with the substrate & plants right from the start, and allow the plants at least 4 to 6 weeks of growing/establishment time, while your tank is cycling, before getting the discus. Do a fishless cycle, using bottled ammonia.

Avoid heavily planting in order to give your fish some swimmimg room and to permit you to maintain a good vacuuming/cleansing routine. Keep things simple, and at least for the first few months, keep it low-tech and stay away from using pressurized CO2.
And keep in mind, you will need to maintain a water change routine of at least twice a week, 3 X a week would be better, of 50% or more.

Plants that do well in low-tech and at the higher discus temps include Amazon swords, Anubias, Java Ferns, Crypts, Hygrophilas, Bacopas, Rotalas, Lotuses, some Ludwigias, or even some Vals & Sags.

Get your discus only from a well-known, experienced, reputable and reliable source to ensure you're getting, good quality, healthy fish.

Best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance as you set up.

Here's my planted discus tank for you to have a gander at:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/lolliblues2

Last edited:

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
P.S. Josh,
I neglected to also suggest you do some homework on discus-keeping before you get started.
For openers, I'd recommend you have a read of my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus, if you haven't already done so. It's a Sticky located in the Cichlids section - Angel Fish & Discus sub-section.

Joshschroder

AC Members
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks, i have my tank going, no discus yet. I have jungle vale, crypt, java fern, and hydrophollys in he tank with 3 rams and a few tetras. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are All at zero ppm. The plants are good, except the vale. I think the temp is to high; 86.

The problem i am facing is the ph. In your article you said 8.0 is sometimes ok. My tank is 8.0, but the dealer im getting the fish from keeps them in 7.4-7.6. He wont sell them if your test is higher or lower than his range. I think my tank needs to cycle a little more. I havent used any water conditioners, as the dealer told me not to. He uses the same tap water i do striaght from the the source. Any ideas to get the ph down?

Also with your advice on a bigger tank: i plan on getting a 90 or bigger. I want to try the discus with what i have and make sure i enjoy them as much as i think i will. I may only go with four discus till then. As soon as my tank is at my liking i will post pics.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Yes Josh, your temp is a touch too high to readily accommodate your plants. Lower it to say, 82-83 as a concession to the plants.
I don't understand why your source will not sell you discus if your pH is below or above 7.4-7.6 - that seems overly strict policy to me - Discus can be readily acclimated, if done properly, to pH that is higher or lower than their acqusition source, without ill effects.
You can do one of 2 things:
You can run peat in your filter(s) in order to reduce your pH to the desired level of around 7.5. Keeping DW in the tank will also help.
Or, you can find another good quality discus supplier who will not impose such strict standards as you described. There are many out there. I'll give you some contacts for some other high quality supply sources if you wish.
Where are you located ?

And yes. ensure your tank is fully cycled before you add in discus. And please do use a water conditioner for water straight out of the tap - it's essential - Seachem Prime is best, but there are other good ones.

You're getting a 90 gal tank - great - but please do yourself a favor, and get more than 4 fish, preferably 6 or more right from the get-go. That way you should avoid any serious pecking order/aggression issues.
With just 4, you're taking your chances.

That's my best advice to you.
And yes, I'll look forward to the pics.
Regards,
Paul

Joshschroder

AC Members
Sep 6, 2012
I am near ann arbor, mi. The guy selling the discus is the only guy i know around here that routinely stocks and deals with discus. He gets the fisj from germany, and quarantones shipments for a couple weeks before he sells them. I like the fact i can seethe fish before i buy them. Other local stores do special order only, with guaranteed purchase delivery day.

I thought of peat as well, just dont know how badly it will stain the water.

It will be a while before i can get the bigger tank, thats why i was only thinking four. My first thought was five fish, but i dont want them to be crowded if it takes longer to get the bigger tank.

And ill pick up a conditioner, next time im near the fish store.

Thanks for the advice.

dabradford

AC Members
Oct 25, 2012
Josh, I got my discus from a guy in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I picked up a breeding pair and 7 young ones. If that's not too far from you, I think he still has some. He has unbelievable prices. PM me if you need his info. Here are some pictures of the ones I got from him.

2012-11-05_09-38-48_567.jpg2012-11-05_13-03-49_385.jpg

2012-11-05_09-38-48_567.jpg 2012-11-05_13-03-49_385.jpg

thebisonman

AC Members
Oct 10, 2006
82 degrees is fine for the Discus. I agree with Paul on the larger than 4 group too. I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Kraig

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store