Neolamprologus Tretocephalus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Has anyone ever kept these? I look online and all that I can really find is that they grow about 6 inches, require the same params as other tangs, are super aggressive, and are mostly carnivorous, but can have an omnivorus diet. I'm wondering what the tank size requirements would be for at least a pair of these. I would appreciate any other info or pointers as well.
Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have 8 Juvies left right now and i have kept this species for several years, yes they are Carnivores and need a higher protein diet, do not treat these as Herbivores with a Herbivore diet, i know you didnt state that they were Herbivores but the Omnivores route is where some hobbyist get their feedings wrong, A high protein pellet and flake will fit them well.. Yes they are aggressive towards conspefics but i have kept them with a wide range of Tangs in the past like Julidochromis, Brichardi's and Altolamps.. A minimum tank size for a pair species setup would be a 40 breeder with a 55gal being better.. I put 5 adults in a 50 breeder for a couple of days as a temporary site until their tank was ready and they harassed one of them to jump out of the tank..

I have had a few sites contacting me on my approval of using my Tret photos for their site and to write an species profile for them.. Your right there is not enough information on them.. they attain a size of 6" their name is Neolamprologus Tretocephalus common name is Poor mans frontosa, they are a substrate spawner, carnivore..

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
thank you for your informative information Pitt! I knew I would be hearing from you ;) I have 5 juvies in my 20G high right now for QT, and I was trying to decide what tank to put them in, looks like I might have to get another 55 gal :perv:
I have read that you can put calvus in as tank mates as well, is it possible, or is it not advisable?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I've kept Calvus and Comps with almost everything Tanganyika just make sure you start them all out close to the same size and provide enough space, Tangs need more footprint width than depth when it comes to tank environments so the longer a tank the better the tank,, 33gal longs are perfect for these guys, its the same size footprint as a 55gal but not the depth.. Take care my friend..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store