E-man's 40 Gallon Breeder Journal. Lots of pictures!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Hey AC. I am in the process of upgrading my 20g long into a 40g breeder tank. I more or less know what I want to stock, but of course I may change my mind. So here's what I have so far:

DAY 1: (September 10, 2012) Painting the tank

Just got this tank on Saturday, haven't even taking it out of its packaging:

8kJ1Oh.jpg

I was originally going to buy some paint at the local hardware store, but I found some blue spray paint in the basement. Paint actually came with the house, so its over 11 years old. Let's hope it works.

NrD9gh.jpg

Testing the paint.

WEyE5h.jpg

Putting the masking tape on.

7jjOfh.jpg

More masking tape and wrapping some newspaper on the sides.

zWcleh.jpg

First coat of paint.

zFjfzh.jpg

I looked through the front of the tank to see if it looked good and saw that some areas looked darker then others. I failed to realize that paint dries unevenly until I was all done. For that reason I may have added a coat or two that wasn't needed. Not really a mistake, just a little bit of a time and paint waster. Fourth and last coat.

D3JBzh.jpg

If anyone has any questions along the way or suggestions please post your thoughts. Will hopefully update on a daily bases. I just ordered some lights which hopefully arrive this week. On the schedule for tomorrow; cleaning sand!

8kJ1Oh.jpg NrD9gh.jpg WEyE5h.jpg 7jjOfh.jpg zWcleh.jpg zFjfzh.jpg D3JBzh.jpg

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Rolling works easier IMO than spraying. No taping needed, and you can usually get it done in two coats.

How are you planning on decorating it? IME, the lighter the background, the more algae will grow. Watch how long you keep you lights on for.

What's the stocking plan?

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Day 2: Sand, Plants, and Planning

Thanks everyone for the interest. As far as stocking the plan is:

Angelfish
German Blue Ram
5 Praecox Rainbowfish
6 Julii Cory
5 Cardinal Tetra
12 Rummynose Tetra
Pleco (not sure which yet, LFS got a few in today)

Day 2: (September 11, 2012) Sand, Plants, and Planning

Unmasking the tank. I got some paint on the side rims, but it came off fairly easily with a wet coarse sponge.

Pvk65.jpg

Front view. Ignore me in the reflection.

aghVU.jpg

So I took my regular fish bucket, poured sand into it about halfway and rinsed it about 8 times. Took 3 buckets to rinse out 50 lbs.

dEXH7.jpg

Fifth wash.

8dtvI.jpg

Eight and last wash.

S5SxE.jpg

I went to three of my LFSs today looking for a glass cover. I've only been able to find two places online and one of them wants $90 and the other is backordered. Had one of my LFS order it for me, should get in Thursday.

Got a couple of plants from the other LFS. Two Cyperus and an Amazon Sword.

dzf0f.jpg

Last LFS, which is where I prefer to get my fish from just got some new fish in today including a nice Emperor Pleco. Might get it.

Current 20g tank. Yes, I have a coral background on a freshwater tank.

Usf5l.jpg

Bonus picture. My beagle Jackie.

PXrX4.jpg

Pvk65.jpg aghVU.jpg dEXH7.jpg 8dtvI.jpg S5SxE.jpg dzf0f.jpg Usf5l.jpg PXrX4.jpg

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Love the thread, picture heavy threads are exciting! I enjoy seeing your stuff and the process in which things happened. Love the beagle too, lol. You did a good job on the background, as someone mentioned though darker ones show the fish better, my personal opinion too. Congrats on starting a new tank I just started a 30gallon a few months ago and it is finally finished. Plenty of hiding spots, plent of plant coverage, and finally fully stocked. So I know how much fun it is to start a new tank. Hope to see more up dates soon.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Love the thread, picture heavy threads are exciting! I enjoy seeing your stuff and the process in which things happened. Love the beagle too, lol. You did a good job on the background, as someone mentioned though darker ones show the fish better, my personal opinion too. Congrats on starting a new tank I just started a 30gallon a few months ago and it is finally finished. Plenty of hiding spots, plent of plant coverage, and finally fully stocked. So I know how much fun it is to start a new tank. Hope to see more up dates soon.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Nice tank! I found your thread and am looking through it right now. You just need to update your "tank setup" in your profile. :)

P.S. I did want a black substrate/black background, but eco-complete and/or black sand is more expensive then regular old pool filter sand. Trying save money best I can on this project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store