Advice on where to put my Betta please?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vikki.

AC Members
Aug 24, 2012
Cambridge
Ok so my bettas been in a 60L tank for about 6months with a common plec and 2 yoyo loaches which I've now moved to a 180L tank.
What I'm worried about is moving the betta to this new tank, I know he'll be alright with his old tank mates but the new tank has 4 zebra danios and 3 CPD (Hopefully more, come payday).
Would ity be cruel to put him in the tank? Even just to test it?
I've got a 14L set up if there are any problems but I really dont want to make it his permanent home. He's used to fast flowing water and other fish so I'm hoping he'll be alright... although I know this isnt ideal for a male betta.
Any advice is much appreciated guys :)
Vikki.

P.S. He's quite a tough guy, stole a pea from my plec :p - if you can see the picture.
SAM_1466.JPG

SAM_1466.JPG

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
there's always a risk putting a betta with something like danios. first, it can be a challenge to get food to the slow betta while the danios are zipping around inhaling food. Second, a google search suggests that zebra danios and CPDs won't school together, so it may be worth it to fill out the zebra danio school to encourage good behavior and less nipping at other fish.

The good thing is they should have plenty of room. what else is in the tank?

Vikki.

AC Members
Aug 24, 2012
Cambridge
Yeah I'm planning on getting some more danios next week, d'you think that would make them less likely to attack him?
I was thinking of adding some pearl gouramis into it, but thats undecided as of yet. The tank is sort of semi-planted and has lots of nooks and crannies for my loaches.
Maybe I'll keep my betta on his own after I've got some decorations for his 14L and get some cherry shrimp in there, or would he eat them?
I'm quite liking the idea of a betta tank the more I think about it, he's quite an interesting little guy :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
gourami's and betta's dont generally mix. Shrimp are hit or miss, I have a betta in my 29g planted with lots of cherries, have had other bettas that would of hunted down and killed all the shrimp.

Vikki.

AC Members
Aug 24, 2012
Cambridge
Oh no, I wasn't going to put them in together. I think my betta will have his own little place once I've got some plants and stuff. It makes me feel bad though putting him in such a small space :S
I've seen some blue shrimp around, they're a bit bigger so I'll have to get researching them.
Thanks guys, I think I've come close to a decision :clap:

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
My beta does fine with Danios. I have 6 leopard danios.

The danios are FAST when it comes to feeding time, however, I spread the food across the tank, sink some and float some, so everyone can easily find something to munch on. My beta has had no issues getting food.

Vikki.

AC Members
Aug 24, 2012
Cambridge
I might try him in time, he always got along with my loaches to the point where it looked like he thought he was one of them :p
Plus I'm sure he can handle himself, I was given a few cherry shrimp and within about a minute of me putting them in his tank he'd killed them all - but he didn't try to eat them, so maybe it was just for his amusement!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have kept a few different bettas with danios (the same danios) and all fared just fine. right now, my current betta has no issue getting food with two danios in his tank, along with other fairly greedy tankmates. 20 gallon long, planted, with good water flow from the 55 gal rated filter.

there are some special precautions to take with bettas, and you do have to take into account every fish's personality (betta's tankmates included), but IMO treat them like any other tropical fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store