Mixing botia with cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caffeine

AC Members
Jul 2, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I've got two yo-yo loaches that I don't want to get rid of. I've fallen in love with the guys. The problem is I'm converting their tank to a cichlid tank. Will they get along, or should I say goodbye to the loaches? Are there specific cichlids I should look at?

joshua

Registered Member
Mar 28, 2004
London
Visit site
Could Try a Keyhole (Aequidens maroni)

Keyholes are one of the most gentle and Angels can be ok as well but I guess there note really exclusive. But its pretty hit and miss really with all Chichlids. For instance I have 2 firemouths that are extremelly passive and my Jewels are ok as well. But bear in mind you never know with Chichlids and to a certain degree "Its suck it and see" with these fish.

It also depends on the tank set-up. if you get this right with rocks and plants and correct hiding places etc. this will also make a difference to there behaviour.

Also in my experience, espeically with fully grown males. if these fish are left alone in a tank for too long they will be very aggressive when you add others as they will try to dominate the tank so try not to be tempted pruchase large/fully matured fish.

Josh.

catjo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
New Braunfels, Texas
Visit site
I have never had trouble with large loaches and cichlids. Of course that is ONLY my experience. I have loaches in every tank I own. Most cichlids tend to leave the bottom dwellers alone-don't know why-maybe that don't feel as if they are competition. If you are going to have any of the mild to medium cichlids and your yo yos are large I would at least give it a try. Best of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store