Electric jack Dempsey in a 55 tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
an ebjd gets much bigger than rosy barbs or bolivian rams. you would run into aggression issues and/or the smaller fish would become lunch.

ebjd's get up to 8 to 10 inches. rosy barbs max out at about 3 inches. bolivian rams max out at 4 inches or so. see the size discrepancies there?

a good tankmate for an ebjd is one that is similar size, and temperament. with a tank size of 55 gallons, i honestly would not consider a tankmate if you are putting an ebjd in there - not enough tank space for two fish that size.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
it all depends on what you want, and what interests you. i personally don't enjoy a tank full of africans, but do enjoy a large tank with one or two large fish instead. i'd take my oscar and my paratilapia polleni over any other cichilds, any day.

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
Ebjd are actually very very sow growers and havea max size a few inches smaller then normal Jds their temperament in most cases is actually very mild compared to most new world cichlids. You really have tons of options for the first couple years with ebjd, although you may have to rehome at som point or another.

If you go African I would go mbuna as you can vastly over stock and really need to over stock an mbuna tank. 20-30 in a 55 easy a long as you way over filter and do large water changes weekly with a heavy gravel cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store