Guppy fry with bent spine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mia9_28

AC Members
Apr 18, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Sabrina
One of my female guppies who was pregnant (I'm not a breeder, though) had gotten sick the other day, so I separated her in another tank. A few days later, she passed away while giving birth and only one little baby made it. He is 9 days old today. Unfortunately, I am noticing that his spine is curving upwards, like a V. I know that most of you would tell me to cull him so he doesn't pass what may be a bad gene, but I don't have the heart to do this to our little survivor.

I'm just wondering if it could be something in the water causing him to develop wrong or is it really genetics? His spine seemed fine at first, but it's pretty hard to tell because he was really tiny and see-through when born (probably born too early)
He is being fed crushed flakes about 3 times a day... he has about 7 hours of darkness at night and the temperature is 24C as I type this. He gets a 50% water change once a week.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
If he was born too early, then more then likely he didn't develop all the way and that's what caused the spine curvature. Genetics would be my second guess but I'm betting more on the early birth.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mia9_28

AC Members
Apr 18, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Sabrina
Hmm.. I hope it'll end up being a female, so it'll be easier to get rid of the babies. If it's a male, it'll be harder to tell if he was the one to get my females pregnant or not. I wouldn't want to get rid of perfectly fine little fry.

But mostly, I hope it's not genes and that he'll live a long happy life anyway. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store