Hospital Tank with Undergravel filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
I want to set up a hospital tank and read that they should not have gravel, the tank I have to use only has a undergravel filter, what kind of filter can I use inexpensively or should I just use the gravel ?

Thanks

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Didn't see that at petsmart. Went to petco and they had a fluvial nano filter for $30. I can use the same pump as I used for the undergravel filter right ?

Hook up an air pump (using air line tubing) to one of these...

http://www.google.com/search?q=spon..._pw.r_qf.&fp=a9fda277b9737b97&biw=845&bih=758

I'm not sure if Petsmart sells them anymore, but you should be able to at least get the pump there. The "sponge" part may need to be from a different LFS or online.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
My hospital tank is "filtered" by a small old school box filter packed full of carbon and powered by a small airpump. I know a lot of people that dont filter it at all and simply toss in an airstone. They do daily water changes.

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
My hospital tank is "filtered" by a small old school box filter packed full of carbon and powered by a small airpump. I know a lot of people that dont filter it at all and simply toss in an airstone. They do daily water changes.
Forgive my ignorance, but will an airstone by itself work with my Elite799 pump ? What kind of filter box do you use ?

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Ran out and bought the fluvial nano this morning, but I didn't make it back in time :(

So for planning for the future, should I set up the hospital tank anyway so it can get cycled ? I was planning on using some of my gravel to seed the tank. Or should I just hook up the fluvial to my main tank (if it will even fit on that tank) and transfer it when I need it ?

Or, since it is not urgent right now, should I return the fluvial and look for a sponge filter and airstone instead ?

Thanks all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store