6.6 Fluval Chi Stocking Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lo_Botomy

Registered Member
Sep 14, 2012
Boston
Real Name
Lo
Hi all!

I have a question about my Fluval Chi in the plants forum as well, but this question is unrelated.

To start off, let me just quickly say that I am an experienced tank owner (8 years under my belt) and am very careful about cleanliness and appropriate stocking for a tank.

I am getting the 6.6 gallon Fluval Chi for a moderate to heavy planted betta tank with a lid. I plan on doing 2 partial water changes a week. I am considering the possibility of putting a small school of neon or cardinal tetra into this tank with it. I know it's a small tank, and I usually would never consider it, but I've been seeing a lot of photos and videos of the Fluval Chi with betta fish and a small school of tetras.

Would any of you consider doing this in a 6.6 or is it just way too small, even if it is planted with frequent changes? I don't want to crowd the tank, I'm just thinking about trying something a little different.

Also shrimp and snails are a no for me haha so if it's not a few tetra, it'll be the betta alone--which I have no problem with really.

Opinions??

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd say 3-4 neons is fine, provided the betta doesn't occasionaly try to snack on one...most folks here will say no based on tank size and some theory they will be better in a larger school.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
sounds pretty. what color is the betta going to be?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
You could do a microrasbora as well if you decide the neons are too big :)

Welcome to AC!

Lo_Botomy

Registered Member
Sep 14, 2012
Boston
Real Name
Lo
Thanks you guys! :)

It's funny I asked the same question on another forum and they all said "DON'T DO IT"

I'm hoping either red, or maybe a purple mix. I haven't really looked yet. I have 5 different stores I could go to near by. My last betta was... beautiful. He was teal and purple and I fell in love with him instantly. I hope I find one that I love as much for this tank! :)

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Given a 10"x10" footprint I wouldn't do fish, personally. But that may just be me....
it's tight as far as swimming space for the fish, celestial pearl danios would be a smaller and more attractive option imo

but as for gas exchange, the filter has four 4x2.5" trickles flowing from the fountain, kinda bumping the footprint to 140 and lots of ripples

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store