Dachshunds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I'm thinking about getting one. Anyone have any experiences with them?

I know a lot depends on the individual dog, but will they tolerate a cat?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
They were originally bred to drag Badgers out out of their burrow. They tend to have a rather high prey drive, which can make keeping them with small animals problematic for the small animals. Having a mature cat that can teach a young puppy manners will often work, but you would have to be very cautious if you added another cat down the road.

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Prone to major back problems, and temperament issues. In dog bite studies they have come out on top of the most aggressive dogs that bite the most (although it is true that being bit by other breeds might put you more at risk for serious injury). I would say this shows a problem in the general population regarding impulse control and bite inhibition, which are traits that do have a strong innate temperament component. MEaning, sure you can train, but you might have to put in a lot more effort just to get a dog that is even halfway trustworthy and mannerly (a lot of dachshunds I have seen are not really either). This is not to say they are all bad, but like many dog breeds that have been overbred due to popularity AND bred for major extremes in appearance, there are a lot of issues you should be on the lookout for or at least expecting. I would put a ton of research into finding a truly reputable/responsible breeder if you are going to buy. And by that I do not mean a show breeder who breeds for champions, but a breeder who you believe ACTUALLY cares and breeds with health and good temperament in mind, and then puts effort into properly socializing the pups prior to sale. Or I would rescue an older adolescent or even adult that you could see what their health and temperament were like.

This kind of comes across that I hate this breed or something, and that's not true. I even have a favorite dachshund. This dog likes me but hates all children and I would never ever let it near my kid or vice versa because I KNOW she would get bit. And her owners have literally spent over $10,000 on medical issues for the dog including two back surgeries.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
I have a Sheltie/duchand mix

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
love her to bits! :)

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
My Aunt had 5 of them at once, Most of the males were pretty high strung, one was almost mean, she would lock it up whenever people (like me) visited. I think it depends on the individual dog, but to my knowledge none of them were lap dogs, nor do I ever remember ever even being able to pet one of them. I don't want to discourage you, but If you were seriously considering getting one, I would look for an independent breeder in your area, and check out the temperament of their dogs, before just jumping in and getting one...

hot-dog-costumes.jpg

hot-dog-costumes.jpg

mia9_28

AC Members
Apr 18, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Sabrina
They bark a lot and are not easily trained. It's not a breed for just about everyone....
I know I would never want one.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I have a small amount of experience with them, some family members had two. They would warm up to you after a while, and if their owners were not around, they would actually pay attention to you, and sit on your lap. But if the owners were around, good luck with even getting the dogs to even look at you. Lol

So they don't look like the best choice, possibly. Definitely don't want a dog I have to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

ClwtrTank

Registered Member
Aug 11, 2012
I have been around many of them, both show and non. They tend to rule the roost when it comes to other cats and dogs and feel you should make sure your the boss from the get go, they will run all over you and become out of control biting little monsters. I have a friend who has had hers now for 19 years and going and is a complete joy and gets along with all other critters in her house but is the roost ruler for sure...:)

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I have had two miniatures. They were the best dogs I have ever had, and I miss them every day. Back injuries are a tremendous risk. One of mine had to be put down because of it ( it was before they were doing the back surgeries to correct the problems.) The other lived to be 18 years old.

Both had sweet, loving dispositions, but these dogs are NOT for homes with small children. I never had either nip, but they really did not dig it when there were small kids in the house. They are highly intelligent and more than a little stubborn. If you can live with that, a person couldn't ask for a nicer breed.

+1 on Zig's suggestion to find an independent, registered breeder for this particular breed. I have several rescue animals, so I know how important that is, but a dachshund is not an animal you want to get from a pet store, no matter how adorable those pups are ( and they are.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store