Pir's Carnivores (Pic Heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Well, I finally took the plunge. Got the opportunity to go down to 'Carnivorous Plant Nursery' in Derwood, Maryland. If any of you are ever in the D.C. area, this guy comes highly recommended by me. Without further ado..pictures :thumbsup:

Terrarium: Mostly Drosera spatulata and a few baby VFT's that came along with. The big VFT is Dionaea muscipula 'Royal Red', which my dad picked out and insisted on.
DSC_1458.jpg
Baby Venus Fly Trap
DSC_1447.jpg
D. spatulata
DSC_1449.jpg
Nepenthes alata
DSC_1453.jpg
DSC_1450.jpg
DSC_1451.jpg
N. sanguinea
DSC_1461.jpg
N. ampullaria 'Brunei Red'
DSC_1465.jpg
DSC_1468.jpg

Let me know what you think! Big thanks to JB for answering a bunch of questions and for all of the people like JPap, Paul, and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head who have pictures of their CPs on the forum.

DSC_1447.jpg DSC_1449.jpg DSC_1450.jpg DSC_1451.jpg DSC_1453.jpg DSC_1458.jpg DSC_1461.jpg DSC_1465.jpg DSC_1468.jpg

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Everything looks great, dude! Hope they all do great for you!!!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Thanks! I decided to temporarily house the ampullaria in the 10g, and I will have a more permanent spot for it soon. It was a bit of an impulse buy because I got a really good price on it. My bedroom is just not humid enough to house it properly for very long, however. The guy also claimed that there were some 'pest' Utricularia growing with the plants I got. I'll have to do some research.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
What's the humidity like in your room? Remember that most HL species can live in humidity down to 20-30%, but they will thrive and pitcher closer to 50%. You can always supplement environmental humidity to some extent by misting a couple of times per day. IMO, lighting is much more important as is a good temperature drop at night for the more difficult species.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I thought something was off... I just looked up n. ampullaria, and it's a low elevation plant, which will change the requirements a bit. It'll want warmer temperatures and higher humidity. This one may actually be better suited for your terrarium while it fits.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
These are awesome!! I just came across jpappy's thread a few days ago. I wish I had room to expand. Just out of curiosity, can you use regular humidifiers in the room keep them?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
These are awesome!! I just came across jpappy's thread a few days ago. I wish I had room to expand. Just out of curiosity, can you use regular humidifiers in the room keep them?
Yes.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Great start!

Something to keep in mind, even with dews and VFTs it is FAR easier to keep them in individual (or at least by species) pots than planting them in a community substrate. For example, when the VFTs need their dormancy period you're going to have to disturb the entire media that the dews are also planted in...also, the "tray method" is simple and effective when it comes to those types of CPs, but wont obviously work when they are planted that way. How do you plan on watering them? And what media mix are you currently using?

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
What's the humidity like in your room? Remember that most HL species can live in humidity down to 20-30%, but they will thrive and pitcher closer to 50%. You can always supplement environmental humidity to some extent by misting a couple of times per day. IMO, lighting is much more important as is a good temperature drop at night for the more difficult species.
Yeah, I'm not completely sure about the humidity in my room, but it's probably in the 40% area. I'll have to get a hygrometer. The sanguinea and the alata are sitting on/hanging over my fish tank in a southwest window. I edpecct it to be a pretty good spot for them.
I thought something was off... I just looked up n. ampullaria, and it's a low elevation plant, which will change the requirements a bit. It'll want warmer temperatures and higher humidity. This one may actually be better suited for your terrarium while it fits.
Yeah, when I was at the nursery, I thought that ampullaria was a HL. The guy knew his stuff, I should have made sure. Anyway, I really like it, so if it gets too big, I'll set up its own terrarium.
Thanks! And yeah, humidifiers would be good AFAIK.
Great start!

Something to keep in mind, even with dews and VFTs it is FAR easier to keep them in individual (or at least by species) pots than planting them in a community substrate. For example, when the VFTs need their dormancy period you're going to have to disturb the entire media that the dews are also planted in...also, the "tray method" is simple and effective when it comes to those types of CPs, but wont obviously work when they are planted that way. How do you plan on watering them? And what media mix are you currently using?
Thanks JPap! The dews are all spatulata as of now, so once I start collecting some other species, I;ll separate them. I would really like to have a whole carpet of spatulata in there, though. The VFT's are in a pot, it's just buried. The media mix is peat, playsand, and coconut coir 2:2:1 or so. The bottom inch or so is lava rock, so I pour water in the back corner and it kind of seeps down under.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store