Centerpiece(s) for 30g x high.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've been debating this now for about a month, and have still come up with nothing. It's a 30g extra high and has been recently upgraded from a hardscape to a fake-planted tank. Current stock:

false julii corys
harley rasboras
candystripe pleco
assorted nerites/mts

I want something different, ish, that will be non-boisterous and not the least bit aggressive. I've been toying with the idea of rams and apistos, but have read differing results on keeping single males or pairs of these in a tank with my footprint. Any suggestions are appreciated!

:cheers: and Thanks a bunch!

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
I have a female A. panduro in my tank that is also kind of a small footprint. I am keeping an eye on her but in the 2 months or so since I brought her home, she has doubled in size and still seems just fine with the footprint. VERY pretty too. But, she is a tetch aggressive. Luckily my rice fish are totally zen about the whole thing and can also take a little hit now and then. Not sure what the other apistos are like but I sure am interested in trying a pair in a bigger tank someday as she is a wonderful fish.

They are not very big, but what about lyretail killis? Personality for miles, mine have been extremely gentle and peaceful but also very active and curious, and the male is so pretty - almost 3 inches in length but skinny almost like an eel with really bright colors. Swims at all levels equally. And they would do fine in that size tank. Not sure if that is different though...

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Yeah the 24x12" print.

Hmm I'll look into them for sure :) I've thought about clown killis, etc., but not those. I'll also look into them.

Thanks for the replies!

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Yeah I have clown killis too in my other tank. They are fantastic but very very shy. However, they spend most of their time right at the water level, so they are not easy to see. The dominant male swims down into the rest of the tank sometimes. This is the same tank as the Apisto but they did this before I added her to the tank too.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sparkling gourami looks like a winner after some research...going to do some more just to be sure it won't be too shy in this tank. I'm trying to get a pair of clowns and some floating plants as well. I think so anyways, and oh, how I hate stocking tanks.

:cheers:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How much cover do you have ie. how planted is the tank? IME sparklers are fairly shy and may not be out much or even get too stressed with more active fish like harlies. They also, naturally, do not seem to have very long life spans so keep that in mind. I absolutely love mine when I had them though so I don't mean to scare you away.

Floating plants will help...also unsure how well they mix with clown killies.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Apistos tend to hug the bottom, so they wouldn't be my fdirst choice for a centerpiece in a tank that tall. The Lyretail Killies would be a decent choice, but something a bit bigger like Fundulopanchax gardneri would make a bigger impact. A male Blue Gularis would be smoking, but you'd better make sure those Rasboras are jumbo sized before you introduce one!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have two good sized mats of riccia, and I'm buying enough frogbit to cover the remainder of the top minus a feeding area for the rest of my fish. I crossed off the sparkling gouramis because of my fear of them being overwhelmed by the rasboras and your advice, pap. Looks like I'll just stick with the clowns and call it good. I've heard nothing terrible about keeping them with harleys, and my harleys usually don't go near the top sans feeding time anyways. I'm making a custom lid for the tank as well so them jumping isn't a worry. Off to find a pair.

Thanks again, everyone. Especially you pap!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store