aggressive honey gourami..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
I bought 2 sunset honey gouramis over the weeknd and they are in a 5-gal QT now. I suspect they are both are males, but difficult to tell as they are still fairly young. (I'd like a pair, though). One of them is chasing the the other around most of the time. I know it could be new environment and small space..
My questions: how to deal with this bully?
My main tank is 25 gal moderately planted with rasboras (7). would they be OK? If not what can I do?
Also, I'd a like small school of tetras (cardinals/neons) added later. Will they be OK? Assuming bullying stops, will it resurface later with new additions? Thanks.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It's really impossible to tell until they are in a larger space together. Things may mellow out, but no one can really say either way.

But for the time being I would suggest separate QT or at the very least trying to upgrade the current QT tank in terms of volume and by more simple decor to break up the line of sight. Bullying during the process isn't good as stress only exacerbates the potential for infection.

Try to then have a back up plan before adding to the display tank in case things do not go as planned.

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
Thanks. I did my research before buying these for compatibility etc. I've read these are very peaceful among small gouramis. Now I see this aggression, I am a bit concerned about the overall peace of my community tank....I am hoping things will be with the main tank. I don't want to have another tank at this point. I plan to introduce the timid one into the main tank first and the bully after few days....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How long have they been in QT so far?

I've heard honeys are relatively peaceful as well, but generally that's because it is recommended to keep them in groups of multiple females to one male. If you ended up with two males that could be the root of the problem.

Hopefully it all works out though!

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
It's been three days now.. I have added some extra barriers, but still not out of sight from each other. I've also heard they are very hardy as well...

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
Just to update the situation, I introduced the timid one in to the main tank about after a week in QT. May be not long enough, but I didn't want the poor guy too stressed and that kind of defeats the purpose of QT! He is happy in the 25 gal tank with many plants. Then after about 3 days, I put the bully in. I always switched the lights of in the room (and the tank) when I introduce new fish and also put a large towel over the tank. Initially, the timid fish approached the erstwhile bully and the bully swam away! I was worried about the tables being turned! After about 5 minutes I took a peak in the tank, the two were doing that "dance" - bodies side to side! As I was wondering, if they were a pair, they swam away! Looks like they both are males and I 've read some where, even males do the "dance" to establish dominance. So last couple of days they are both swimming happily sometimes near each other and other times on either end of the tank. Looks like all's well :)

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
The dorsal fin on a male gourami is pointed while on a female its rounded. If you can, keep one in the tank and the other one in a tank by itself. Gourami are like betta, they can be kept singly. Tetras in the tank will be fine and so will cardinals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store