Recommend a good community algae eater please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
Hi Everyone,

My tank is starting to get some greenish brown algae growing on the back wall, and some on the substrate (Even with weekly gravel vacuums). Can anyone recommend a good algae eater to help combat this problem?

I was thinking pleco - but I'm worried about it getting to big for my 20 gal.

I have heard about siamese algae eaters - but are these going to eat off the glass?

My balloon molly likes to eat algae off of the cave and other "textured" things, but never goes for the substrate or the glass.

Thanks,

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Siamese and Chinese algae eaters do not eat algae, really. You could grab an algae scrubber for the glass instead of buying a new fish. A bn pleco would do well for a year or so until it reached 3"~, or some nerites would definitely help you.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What type of algae is it? Not all "algae eaters" will eat every type even if they do eat any algae at all. Pics would help ID if you are unsure.

Generally, I prefer to find the root of the problem and address that before resorting to adding more fish. Something may be off in your tank in regards to light or nutrient input (ie. too much food, lack of water removal, etc.).

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
A single BN pleco in a 20 gal would be fine. My red adults are only about 4" each. Good luck.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Nerite snails are in my experience, the only worthwhile method of algae control. They're awesome, come in many different colors and patters, and dont breed in fresh water. As long as you dont have anything anti-snail, they're the way to go.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Nerites as well do not breed in fresh water, so they won't overrun your tanks. Some of the different species are quite pretty and interesting as well. I'd get like, 10+ for a 20 gallon tank. Maybe even some amano shrimp if your tank only has small fish in it.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
step 1...

step 2...

step 3...

step 4...

step 5...

step 6...

every week... maybe twice or more weekly for a while. and again after scraping, scrubbing or cleaning anything to minimize cross contamination.

address your lighting. is it too bright? are the hours way too long or inconsistent? is it too close to a window?

address your nutrients. is it planted?

adding stock adds more waste when there are issues. plant or animal... it does not matter. (unless the plants are doing great and you still have an issue... but it still complicates things)

tell us more about your tank. give us clear, concise pictures if you can.

check out james' planted tank, guitarfish.org, plantedtank.net, rex grigg's site and/or here for algae articles.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Jpap and Dundadun's got it. Find the cause, and not add a species to "fix" a problem. Not all algae-type eatters, eat all types of algae.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Jpap and Dundadun's got it. Find the cause, and not add a species to "fix" a problem. Not all algae-type eatters, eat all types of algae.
^ also, nerites MIGHT breed and leave eggs on your glass that will go away, but leave little white rings for quite a while. BUT they're still very cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store