Where should I buy my live sand from??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
Well i have decided to tear down my tank and start over. I have had the current tank running for about 6 years and have decided that its time to restart and do it right this time. For the first tank I just had went and bought play sand from a home improvemnt store and as it looked really good, it was leeching silicates into the water. I have been fighting algae for the past three years and im tired of it. (My live rock is cooking)

I just purchased an ROdi unit which should come in later this week.

I have been looking around trying to find out where to get the best deal on live sand. So I figured I would ask everyone where they have purchased theres?

Also which brands are better quality, or are they basicly all the same?

I also have seen the term "dry sand" ( a way to cut down on cost) so any info on that would be helpful too

Thanks!!

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
The general opinion among the pros is that live sand is dead and only serves to add ammonia to the tank, something you can do for much cheaper with a raw shrimp and old sock when you cycle.

Get some good aragonite sand, enough for 2-3 inches on the bottom of the tank, depending on the fish you want to keep. IE, burrowers need more sand. Don't waste money on live sand.

The sand is going to have to cycle along with the rock so just get the dry. Get a couple pounds of LR to kick start the cycle, (you said your rock was cooking...did you mean literally?) put a piece of raw shrimp in cheese cloth or a sock or something and let it rot in the tank with the dry rock and sand. Bam. Cycle. lol

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
My live rock has been placed in a Rubbermaid container with a powerhead and heater and is in complete darkness. I'm planning on doing weekly water changes to it. I understand that this will recharge my live rock and will make it like new (its a long process though)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
What Kelly said, bagged 'live' sand is most likely dead by the time you purchase it. I've used caribsea brand live sand before simply because I liked the color but as far as I could tell nothing was living in it.

I'd be cautious of cheap unheard of brands, I ran 10g nano for awhile skimped and bought some cheap generic 'aragonite sand' turns out it wasnt arag went from pure white to constantly having a coating of brown diatoms on the surface. Moved everything over to a 29g in June with new caribsea arag sand no more diatoms.

I usually try to buy locally but if your looking to buy online maybe drfostersmith free shipping over $49, no sales tax. Alot of other online places like to tack on extra bulk shipping rates for sand.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
ocean direct should be decent sand, again probably nothing alive in it by the time you get it. Its from Caribsea I've used the fiji sand and like it.

donk18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Blacklick, Ohio
Just buy some Caribsea sand from a lfs and see if a local reefer can give you a few cups of live sand out of their tank. It will jump start your cycle and add fun little critters to your sand bed. That is how I have always done my sand beds and never have had an issue. There is a great lfs here that will sell you the sand out of their tanks for a buck a pound and it is filled with pods, worms, mine serpant stars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store