Are there quiet HOBs out there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
I filtered all my fish tanks with HOBs and love their simplicity, reliability and ease of maintenance, but the noise starts to bother me. Noise wasn't an issue for me when I kept my tanks in the basement. Recently, I set up a show tank in my living room and the HOBs noise sounds like I am running a factory. I don't mind the water cascading noise as it is soothing and can be elmiinated easily by raisng the water level. But I can't stand the impeller humping and rattling noise in my living room.

I am currently using old model Peqnuin 350 and 150 exclusively. Of the big 3s, Whisper, Marinland and AquaClear, which brand is the quiestest. Has anyone tried to replace the impeller to make the HOB quieter? Thank you for your input.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I've always used Aquaclear for HOB's and the motors are pretty much silent unless the impeller is jammed or it fails to self prime after a power outage. I can't comment on the others as I've never owned them.

Adam

Branden_Pearson

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
+1 for aquaclear. Have one on my tank in my living room and can't hear a thing. And I would know if you could hear it cuz my girlfriend would be complaining if it was noisy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

igfrey

Registered Member
Sep 17, 2012
Pennsylvania
I too use Aquaclear on the 29 but switched to to truaqua canister for 65 planted tank..didnt want the surface movement.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I like the Aquaclears, as well. If the impeller is making too much noise, it's probably time to replace it, anyway.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
I use whispers, emporers, and penguins. None of them are loud to me. Have you taken the impeller out and cleaned it and the housing around it? Most recommend doing that every month or so.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I use Whispers personally for HOB mostly because I keep clawed frogs and keep the water level lower than usual and I can use the suction cup to lower them down quite a bit to avoid the water sound which drives me nuts.. I've not noticed much if any noise from my marineland filters I have a 150 and 350 penguin I guess I'd have to check lol.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
fluval C4..AMAZING HOBS with more than your average HOB type of filtration system and perfectly silent.

Im hooked on these filters and will be adding one to all of my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store