Betta just built bubblenest... need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
He's in a 2g bowl. Tomorrow he's going in a 6g tank should I wait until then? Should i add a female? Multiple females? Btw 2 bettas built a bubblenest but 1 is very small (not pictured)... this means he wants to mate right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1348015050972.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348015125206.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348015171613.jpg

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Really would like some answers quick. Do not close this thread or I WILL post it again. I need help and it seems like every thread I create gets randomly deleted, I guess asking questions is looked down upon in this society.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
do not buy any female bettas, and do not attempt to breed bettas. it is a very time consuming, space consuming, sanity consuming venture. i've tried, i know.

as well, with 'pet store bettas', the gene pool you are breeding from is unknown and could be very poor. with so many of these 'mutt' bettas in stores already, you do not want to be bringing more into the world.

male bettas build bubble nests because that is what they do, because they are happy, and because they can. this does not mean they need to mate. they won't hurt themselves by building a nest and not using it for breeding. all my male bettas have built grand nests and nothing bad ever happened to them when those bubbles didn't get used for baby bettas.

ps - your threads are not getting deleted, you just haven't subscribed to them, so they are not showing up in your subscribed posts. here are all your threads: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1839584

Last edited:

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
do not buy any female bettas, and do not attempt to breed bettas. it is a very time consuming, space consuming, sanity consuming venture. i've tried, i know.

as well, with 'pet store bettas', the gene pool you are breeding from is unknown and could be very poor. with so many of these 'mutt' bettas in stores already, you do not want to be bringing more into the world.

male bettas build bubble nests because that is what they do, because they are happy, and because they can. this does not mean they need to mate. they won't hurt themselves by building a nest and not using it for breeding. all my male bettas have built grand nests and nothing bad ever happened to them when those bubbles didn't get used for baby bettas.

ps - your threads are not getting deleted, you just haven't subscribed to them, so they are not showing up in your subscribed posts. here are all your threads: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1839584
Very sage advice.

Not something you want to hear, but that's the facts of life in the fish world, especially with Bettas.
I went through the same thing as BettaFish Mommy - many years ago.
Then I got serious, and did it the right way, with the proper sized tank, the right conditions, with well-fed Bettas who were prepared to spawn, and I had the right back-up equipment, tanks etc. in which to grow out the fry, eventually separate out the males from the females - but it was a lot of work.
And how did it end up ? I got nickels & dimes for the males, and literally had to give away the females.
Such is life in the aquarist's world.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Don't breed them unless your ready to do a LOT of research. Not every betta should be bred just because it can be. The experts breed certain betta's for certain reasons, not just because they can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store