Noise reduction ideas for HOBs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I have nothing but AquaClears, and they are almost silent if you keep the water level up to prevent any splashing, run them with the plastic lids removed to do away with that vibration - lid against frame, and religiously clean the entire impeller assemblies every two weeks or so.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
All I'd add to discuspaul's comments is adding a light film of petroleum jelly or silicone grease to the impeller shaft after you clean it. Do clean impellers every so often. One single cat hair can wrap around the shaft and make the filter noisy.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I can share what NOT to do. :) I put a small wash cloth between the filter and the outside glass of the tank to quiet the vibration. Apparently once when I cleaned the filter I wiggled the whole thing around so that a corner of the washcloth was touching the water. It wicked a gallon or more onto the table holding the tank and the floor. Of course, I wasn't the one to find it. My husband did. I came home to a tank with the filter unplugged and tossed outside and the heater unplugged and pulled out of the tank. :( However, he did mop up all the water.

I HATE filter noises. I've found the quietest filters to be internal filters (http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_fluvalplus.php) or undergravel filters powered by powerheads.

wren

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I love my AquaClears. Nearly silent, great price andthey work so **** well. I don't know why anyone would use any other brand. I have 2 running in my 55 gallon and I can't hear them. I even keep the lids on them with no vibration.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I can share what NOT to do. :) I put a small wash cloth between the filter and the outside glass of the tank to quiet the vibration. Apparently once when I cleaned the filter I wiggled the whole thing around so that a corner of the washcloth was touching the water. It wicked a gallon or more onto the table holding the tank and the floor. Of course, I wasn't the one to find it. My husband did. I came home to a tank with the filter unplugged and tossed outside and the heater unplugged and pulled out of the tank. :( However, he did mop up all the water.

I HATE filter noises. I've found the quietest filters to be internal filters (http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_fluvalplus.php) or undergravel filters powered by powerheads.

wren
Try using cork or thick rubber gasket material next time!

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
All I'd add to discuspaul's comments is adding a light film of petroleum jelly or silicone grease to the impeller shaft after you clean it. Do clean impellers every so often. One single cat hair can wrap around the shaft and make the filter noisy.
I tried peroleum jelly but it doesn't work with my Penquen HOBs. I think it only works with Aquaclear which has a fixed shaft. Still, it won't solve the motor vibration noise.

not really. Splashing noise may be reduced but motor vibration will still be heard.
Water fall splashing noise does not bother me. It's a soothing noise and I can silent it by raising the tank water level. The motor vibration and impeller rattling noise is annoying and hard to fix.

I agree that internal filter is the quietest because submerging in water dampens the vibration noise. But I hate to submerge my arm to change the filter, besides it takes up my precious tank space and the filter media is small.

I know canister filters are quiet, but apparently because they are placed inside the cabinet with sound barrier. When you listen to a canister outside side by side with an HOB of equivalent gph, the motor noise is not quieter. So I am asking whether enclosing the HOBs with a canopy will reduce the noise, but still have not received feedback from people with canopy experience.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
My canopy was open at the top, behind the light. Only the output of the HOB would actually be in the canopy. Do you have a canopy that would totally enclose the HOB? I really don't think the normal canopy (open on back) would affect the noise level much if at all.

I hang my internal filters from the top of the back wall of the aquarium. I just pull the wire up to pull the filter out. No arms in the tank. :) They do take up tank space and I think they aren't efficient enough for big messy fish.

wren

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Wren, what brand of internal filter do you use? Let me do my research.

I can build a conopy to enclose the HOBs top and front, with the drywall in the back to complete the enclosure. Do you think it will be an effecitive sound barrier?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store