Am i doing my math right? I dont think so

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
So i understand that i should do 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Now in a 10 gallon tub to sterilize it, some decor, and a filter i would need a gallon? I would think a cup at most but according to my math its a gallon. I can do matrices but cant figure out how much bleach in 10 gallons. I feel stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Yes, it comes out to a gallon. You actually do not need that much. A half-cup of bleach would be plenty. Most ppl overuse bleach. The chart below shows how little bleach you need to treat contaminated water into drinking water. One half cup of bleach would be enough to treat 240 gallons of contaminated water into safe drinking water. ½ cup = 24 teaspoons. Do not use bleach that has perfumes, dyes, additives. Check the label. You would be using 24 times greater than needed for drinking water which should be enough to kill most all bacteria. Let the pieces stand in the bleach water 30-60 minutes. I personally use ½ cup to 10 gallons. Too much bleach will cause most plastics (not all), to become brittle. Circulating the water will cause the bleach to off-gas weakening the solution.

Treating Water with a 5-6 Percent Liquid Chlorine Bleach Solution
Volume of Water to be TreatedTreating Clear/Cloudy Water:
Bleach Solution to Add
Treating Cloudy, Very Cold, or Surface Water: Bleach Solution to Add
1 quart/1 liter3 drops5 drops
1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters5 drops10 drops
1 gallon1/8 teaspoon1/4 teaspoon
5 gallons 1/2 teaspoon1 teaspoon
10 gallons1 teaspoon2 teaspoons
DOH Pub 821-031
Revised - January 2009

When rinsing, use your hand to "wash" the bleach off everything as it has a slimy feel to it and using your hand until the slimy feel is gone is a great way to know you have gotten it off. When you set the tank back up, double dose with some Prime and you should be fine.

Last edited:

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
For disinfecting try 1 tablespoon per gallon. Rinse it well but if you let sit and dry for 24 hours the bleach breaks down anyway into basically salt and water

In the environment, chlorine bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) eventually breaks down into water, oxygen, and table salt (sodium chloride or NaCl) – the same chemicals that are used to create it.
http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sodium_hypochlorite.html

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
The most common ratios I've seen though for disinfection of fish tanks is part bleach to 20 parts water. Remember that the gallon of bleach is really only about a 5% solution to start with. What you're looking for for this type of disinfection is 200ppm. It's not the same treatment as for drinking water as provided above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store