Pseudotropheus saulosi need opinions please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sierracuddy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2010
ohio
I am going to be setting up a new 75 gallon and want Pseudotropheus saulosi
but I am having a hard time figuring out tank mates I want to avoid the possibility of cross breeding. only looking for one other cichlid or should it just be a single species tanks? (PH 7.8 right out of the tap)

possible stock

15-20 saulosi

? what

I already have these in another 75 so I'm looking for something different

8 yellow lab
trio socolofi
7 rusties
trio ob peacocks

thanks in advance

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You can add up to 4 different mbuna species in a 75gal, easily. What about Labeotropheus fuelleborni? Pseudotropheus acei? Snow white socolofi? These are possible tank mates for P. saulosi, IMO.

sierracuddy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2010
ohio
thanks for the reply, but I forgot (oops kind of important:headbang2:) to mention this is going to be a breeding tank that's why I only want only one other or just a species tank and I'm not really a fan of the Acei's.

I have been searching the web for about a month and not coming up with anything. I will be going to the Ohio extravaganza in Nov. so there should be a wide selection to choose from.

would Maingano's work or red zebra's?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
IMO, red zebras should be too aggressive for the P. saulosi. With the Mainganos I feel worried due to their similar coloration with males saulosi. If you want a breeding tank, I would do it with a large group of P. saulosi only; 15-20 is OK. I have seen one species only tanks with a colony of saulosi and they look great with those black and blue males and bright yellow females...as if having 2 different species in the tank! In addition to normal rocks, use rocks with tiny holes so that fry can hide from the adults.

sierracuddy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2010
ohio
Thanks!!!!
I will go with only the saulosi.
I have 4 20 gallon long for the fry and my lfs will buy the juvies. not going to make mint just enough to keep me in the hobby that I love.
The labs and socolofis fry is what bought the new 75 :)

thanks again for the info

Last edited:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
No problem...have fun!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree just stick with the species tank because the females are yellow and the males are blue with black will look like you have two different species anyways..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store