I am trying to breed angels and having problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I am trying to breed my Double Black Angels. They have layed eggs 4 or 5 times and every time they do they eat the eggs. This time I descided to take care of the eggs myself. I set up a small fish tank with 4 drops of Methylene blue in it a heater and a airstone.. The Angles layed their eggs on a piece of slate. Now I carefully put a container under the slate scooped up the sleight with the water in it carried it over to the new tank, I had about twenty 25 good eggs. in two days all eggs were white except for 3. Ive kept the fish tank in the dark except to look at them once in a while. The air stone is overing over the eggs. How do I know the eggs were ever fertilized. I had to take them when I did because the fish were eating them.
Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. Thanks

Apr 2, 2002
New York
You should be getting way more than 25 eggs.

Angels will eat their own eggs or wigglers rather than let them be consumed by something else.

Leaving them in the dark is the opposite of what you should do. Leave them enough light to see what is going on around them.

Make sure you have both sexes. Two females can and do spawn together.

Put the air stone under the slate- you want it to move the water over the eggs.

Remove the methy blue when you see wigglers- use water change and fresh carbon.

Here is some encouragement-

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for your help. I use to be able to breed Angels but for the past two years I have had no luck. Your picture does not encourage me it makes me jealous. I would love to see that. I have 10 double black angels and 8 platinum angels

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store