Mushroom coral?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Eventually when my 75 gallon is finished cycling and I have a fish in there I might want to try a mushroom coral. The guy at the LFS said that they would grow under the dual T5's that I have. Right now I have 6700K light but I am going to upgrade to a 10K and a blue actinic eventually.

Are mushroom corals hard to care for? Has anyone had any experience with them? How big did your's get?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have a few ricordea shrooms, they're my favorite shrooms they can grow fairly quick and split pretty often. I have a couple other types that hitchiked in on LR that are growing real slow probably my fault though they're getting medium/high flow.

Pretty easy to care for, they dont have to be fed but ric's you can feed to get them to grow/split faster. Ric's usually get around 3" max before splitting in half. The shrooms I have that hitched in started out under 1/2" haven't got much bigger then 2"ish but like i said i've cared for them poorly they were free and they're green and ugly so I never bothered taking them off the rock lol. I grow my ric's on small rocks on the substrate under x4 T5HO, they do fine in low light but on a 75 with x2 t5ho you may need to experiment and place them up a bit higher on the rocks.
IMAG0135_zpsafe56c43.jpg

IMAG0135_zpsafe56c43.jpg

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I have a few ricordea shrooms, they're my favorite shrooms they can grow fairly quick and split pretty often. I have a couple other types that hitchiked in on LR that are growing real slow probably my fault though they're getting medium/high flow.

Pretty easy to care for, they dont have to be fed but ric's you can feed to get them to grow/split faster. Ric's usually get around 3" max before splitting in half. The shrooms I have that hitched in started out under 1/2" haven't got much bigger then 2"ish but like i said i've cared for them poorly they were free and they're green and ugly so I never bothered taking them off the rock lol. I grow my ric's on small rocks on the substrate under x4 T5HO, they do fine in low light but on a 75 with x2 t5ho you may need to experiment and place them up a bit higher on the rocks.
View attachment 201401
Cool, thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
I have red ones and they propagate from one rock to the other their very nice and easy to keep you can get them in nice colors specially the ricordea , enjoy

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Lol its frustrating. All I keep hearing is how shrooms are virtually indestructible, how they spread quickly etc...I have had no luck with shrooms so far. Im not sure what types I have. One colony looks like this http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+667&pcatid=667 and another are these ugly brown furry ones, I have no idea why I bought these hideous things.

Also colony might be the wrong word to use, They are just rocks with several shrooms on them. The thing is none of them have opened up the same way I saw at the LFS. Ive the red shroom colony for about a year now and the ugly colony for about 5 months or so. Ive tried moving them around in my tank, changing flow patterns, I just dont know what to do anymore. Honestly, Im pretty much at the point where I dont even care if they die or not.

So if your asking me, shrooms have been very difficult corals for me to do. But the general concensous amongst all other reefers is that they are pretty much as easy as it gets.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO---Shrooms ARE the easiest corals to grow. BUT.....The lower the light intensity, the more brown the shrooms are. They can and will grow like weeds. I have never fed my shrooms and they multiplied like crazy.

Newguy--If your shrooms have not grown try cutting them with a razor. They will split and get more. In my tanks they liked less flow areas.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The ones that hitchhiked in on rocks look like the live aquaria ones but an ugly green color. I noticed today on a rock i scraped them off they're growing back.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Lol its frustrating. All I keep hearing is how shrooms are virtually indestructible, how they spread quickly etc...I have had no luck with shrooms so far. Im not sure what types I have. One colony looks like this http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+667&pcatid=667 and another are these ugly brown furry ones, I have no idea why I bought these hideous things.

Also colony might be the wrong word to use, They are just rocks with several shrooms on them. The thing is none of them have opened up the same way I saw at the LFS. Ive the red shroom colony for about a year now and the ugly colony for about 5 months or so. Ive tried moving them around in my tank, changing flow patterns, I just dont know what to do anymore. Honestly, Im pretty much at the point where I dont even care if they die or not.

So if your asking me, shrooms have been very difficult corals for me to do. But the general concensous amongst all other reefers is that they are pretty much as easy as it gets.
Some would say (me included) that not being able to support shrooms is a blessing. I wish I could go back to the beginning and not added the one piece of rock that had a single shroom on it :).

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Some would say (me included) that not being able to support shrooms is a blessing. I wish I could go back to the beginning and not added the one piece of rock that had a single shroom on it :).
haha, actually shrooms are one of my favorite coral, they just come in so many colors! But like in your case they can easily take a great amount of space

Is there anything you would suggest instead of a mushroom? (low lighting, and low-medium current)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I would stay away from sps corals entirely. You can try some lps such as hammers, frogspawns, bubbles, candy canes, etc. But if your feeling more cautious, just go with the good softies-things like leathers, anthelia, xenia, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store