Runt discus not eating - does he look ok?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Doe he eat at anything all?
Is he eating and then spitting it back out?

Blood worms are really not a good choice of food for small discus.
Blood worms often lead to internal parasites in fish that eat them.
although every fish I ever fed them to seemed to love them.
I don't use them anymore since I lost 3 adult discus due to parasites that i just couldn't treat in time.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Doe he eat at anything all?
Is he eating and then spitting it back out?

Blood worms are really not a good choice of food for small discus.
Blood worms often lead to internal parasites in fish that eat them.
although every fish I ever fed them to seemed to love them.
I don't use them anymore since I lost 3 adult discus due to parasites that i just couldn't treat in time.
Those 2 dont eat much. But the other 3 are PIGS. Everybody is extremely picky though. They spit food at each other its very funny to watch. I feed primarily crushed flakes and ground omega1. Nls & hikari on the side & bloodworms for desert. Desert is every other day. I know bloodworms are not very nutritious which is why I try to limit it. Hoping to Eventually stop feeding it altogether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Should I put more effort into making sure they get food? Do they look skinny? Stressed? How should I pellet train them? Starvation?

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
What else is in the tank with them?
Are all of your fish in the same tank?
No, I have 7 tanks. 7 would be counting betta bowls. In this tank which is a 100g I have
5 discus
3 bettas (I think their female but unsure)
4 bushynose plecos
4 rhinogobius candidianus
4 german rams
1 dwarf jewel cichlid
~18 firegreen tetras
~12 julii cories
5 silver hatchetfish
6 peacock gudgeons
? Otocinclus

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Lucky. I wish I had 7 yanks!
is that all it takes?

but the 2 little discus don't really look sickly or malnourished. it could just be an inferiority thing. we have all bought multiple fish, and had some grow faster than others and some get shoved out of the way when it comes to feeding time. have you tried selective feeding with a turkey baster?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That 1 looks unhealthy to me (the 1 that swims under the leaf). I didn't watch close enough to tell if the other discus is ok, some definately look ok. It is quite thin along the back, I think it hasn't been eating for a while. I'm not sure if treating the tank is safe for all your fish...Do you have a 10 or 20g hospital tank? I'm also not sure if metronidizole, prazi or something else should be your first choice of medication but he needs some help ASAP, he's got more wrong than being a runt. If nobody experienced can help here try simplydiscus.com.

Raising young discus is hard enough without all the other fish in there, good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store