My overstocked vase

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Wanted to try an easy nano build so I picked up a vase from target and it all kind of happened from there. Right know I have black sand, a few pebbles and an arrowhead plant. Stockwise I have a male betta, 5 very small pygmy corys, and a small killifish (I think). I know it's overstocked but I do a big water change everyday and so far everything seems fine. Just wanted to show you guys! Thanks.IMG_1107.jpgIMG_1106.JPGIMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1107.jpg IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Your vase looks nice, and your title is very correct. You dont understand how overstocked it is it seems or you wouldnt be telling people about it lol. Its not the size of the fish now or even their adult size (while this is very and in this situation too) its the activity level of the fish that makes living in a home like this like living in a closet with roommates. All cories are very active little buggers and can NOT live in this situation happily. From the pics its impossible to tell but I would guess your vase is 1/2 gallons ish? Many people will argue that its not enough for any fish but I would say its ok for your betta, the other fish really really need a tank and a probably a 10-20 gallon for the cories depending on species. (though i think the rule with them tends more towards 20g)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Totally agree with the above...I'm not sure if you were expecting reactions or not, but to not point out how ridiculously overstocked that is, whether you admit to it or not, would be irresponsible. Those fish need more space.

Have you been monitoring the params at all?

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Okay, I'd first like to start off by apologizing for the trouble I've caused you:naughty:. In all honesty I can understand taking the small killifish out and maybe it wasn't the best o' ideas. I will say though that I don't feel as though the aquarium is too small for the cories or betta. The cories are doing their thing and seem as content as I've seen them anywhere. Since the vase (which is 2 gallons) is more or less a cylinder, they'll just keep on going in circles so unless someone argued they needed more mental stimuli, I personally find that argument mute. Know about the parameters, The water came from my heavily planted 20 gallon aquarium which has always had excellent water quality and I do a 25% water change a day. I do care about the fish and if I feel one of them is feeling under the weather or stressed, they'll promptly be taken out and put into a hopefully better suited aquarium. Worst case scenario it was an experiment gone horribly disgustingly wrong, and hopefully one day the fish will forgive me and we'll walk into the sunset singing.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
no cory, ever, is suitable for a 2g tank much less a cylinder. A square providing more surface area (the only part they really utilize) is much better than a circle tank of the same gallonage. Your thought process is the same as someone putting in a tiny baby oscar into a 10g tank and saying its just as happy in there because it fits. Pygmy cories get about 1.5"... even though the 1" per gallon rule isnt the best it does give a indication as to the proper course of action. Heres a tool for someone who knows little and wants to improve, while it wont help people like you who "feel" they know better: http://www.aqadvisor.com/ the smallest tank they have w/o putting in dimensions is 2.5g, (20% larger than yours, and its a square so its actually a better layout) I put in just a betta and 5 pygmy cories and the first thing that it says under recommendations is that your tank is too small and the cories will outgrow it. It gave an overstock of 155%, not including the killifish. But your one of those people who really doesnt care, so I wont continue to post or read your stuff. Your fish will not be healthy due to living conditions and im sure youll just replace them with a fresh batch.

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
You do WC using water from your other tank? Why?

I would not consider 25% to be a large WC, or sufficient for that set up, even daily, which is unfiltered and by your own admission overstocked. Also, be sure to keep your house warm this winter, as those are all tropical fish.

I personally would not want a set up that needed daily WC as this does. What to do when you go on vacation? It is a very pretty vase though and I wish you luck with it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
No offense intended, but no one can just "feel" if there fish is uncomfortable in their environment. Sure, there may be certain outward behaviors we associate with stress, but just because your fish "seem content" does not mean the setup is suitable.

I'd say worst case scenario is the fish don't make it...but good luck.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
i would say it is a very nice vase, and a nice home for the betta. but honestly the corries need to go. doing the dily water changes would suit the betta fine. and ive seen bettas do well in way worse. my friends are notorious for overstocking, yet all his bettas do fine in these tiny vases he has. they actually seem happy and the water is actually no bad param wise. its not ideal but it can be done

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I understand the concern but these cories are less than 1/2 an inch, smaller than my fingernail. I feed very lightly and in addition to the water changes, the plant also helps filter the water. I'll try and get some pictures of the cats tomorrow and if there's any doubt that they're too large then I'll take them out, also, if and when they grow they can be removed. I respect all of your knowledge and this website has been a great tool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store