Do angels need a friend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
I just added a very small (1.5") marbled angel to a moderately planted, well-established 30g with 12 platies, 6 rasboras, and 4 peppered cories (and a couple of snails). I'm hoping it'll help control the constant platy baby boom in my tank when it grows up.

The new angel is too young to sex, as are its tankmates at the LFS.

Everyone else in the tank is a community fish, and he looks a little lonely. But I've heard angels are notoriously territorial, especially if you end up with a breeding pair.

Should I get another of the little LFS angels to be his buddy? Or is that asking for trouble? It's a very nice, stable, peaceful tank, and I'd rather keep it that way. But I don't want him to spend his life hiding behind the hyacinth.

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have had many tanks with a sole angel, and never any issues. Just been a short while since you added it? I'd give it time to get acclimated and used to the new surroundings.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
(He's actually schooling - loosely - with my harlequin rasboras. They're pretty close to the same size right now.)

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
As far as territorial...depends on the personality of the fish. The Angel I currently have is not the least bit territorial or aggressive. I have had others that were. It just depends on your fish. :)

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Update: He's now a big, healthy, happy guy who rules my tank - without another angel. Thanks, all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store